Best hatchery to buy ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MCBlueSwede, May 19, 2019.

1. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    I've also seen videos of other hatcheries. There are tons if you search for them on YouTube . But I agree with the bio-safety procedures. But it is definitely interesting to see exactly where your birds are coming from.

2. BirdsBeesTrees

BirdsBeesTrees Crowing

Mar 10, 2019
    Iowa
    Yeah they don't usually let people tour the hatchery. lol. He's pretty popular on YouTube my 11 year old son and I watch him. He's no expert at anything but he's making mistakes so everyone can see them, lol. It's entertaining and he plugs companies so...free advertising for Murray McMurray, lol. :gig

3. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    The main reason I would go with Ideal is that we can go pick them up. I do not like that they say may have crested in the order. Then again, you never know. The offspring from our TSC ducks hatched with two crested and the other three had little puffs on their head and neck. None of the parents had this.

4. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    That is a bad sign! Crests are birth defects and those ducks would not survive in nature long enough to produce offspring. If offspring from non-crested ducks develops crests it is a sign that the whole bloodline is suffering from inbreeding.

house.of.ducks likes this.
  5. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    I just ordered my 3 pekin females from Murray McMurray and they told me that all of their ducklings ship from California and basically admitted that mine in fact came from Metzers. They were a day late arriving so I called them. I had one obvious runt with a curled up foot while the other two were healthy and thriving. My little one has since recovered with a duck shoe and lots of B complex. When I called them they refunded my money and told me not to expect the little one to live. I was distraught but determined. Thankfully I did not give up on her and she is growing and walking like a normal duckling. My 3 runners came from them as well last year and they all showed up happy and healthy. I have a hard time recommending them since they failed to communicate to me that these ducklings were going from CA to MD. I would have chosen somewhere much closer had I known that.

6. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    Glad to hear the your little one recovered!

house.of.ducks and quackiemama like this.
  7. Sentimentalgamer

Sentimentalgamer Chirping

May 2, 2019
    AL
    I had great luck with Hoover's hatchery, the 10 I ordered from them all survived and were very healthy.

8. Sentimentalgamer

Sentimentalgamer Chirping

May 2, 2019
    AL
    Did anyone else see those guys throw the baby chicks after they sexed them!? How in the world does that not hurt them?

9. Jbently28

Jbently28 Songster

May 7, 2018
    Louisiana
    I can't remember which hatchery it was, but I watched another tour and they wouldn't let the people in at all to see them being sexed.

10. Ryder

Ryder Songster

Oct 16, 2018
    Ozark Missouri
    Why!!! I've always wanted to know how to do that but if it hurts them then I don't does anyone know how to do vent sexing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: