Best Hatchery to order Chicks from?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Hegatha, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    This Spring Im gonna order 25 or more chicks and would like to know what your favorite place is or reccomend. I have ordered from Mcmurray and was pleased with them.
    Thanks

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    Bremen, GA
    I have used Ideal and never had an issue with them.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I used Meyer Hatchery in Ohio and was pleased. They will let you order as few as 3-4 chicks, and will let you pick them up. Personally I would find a hatchery fairly close to me so that the chicks would not need to be in the mail as long so they are not as stressed. I got mine overnight. Their are reputable hatcheries in all parts of the country, but some breeds are harder to find. Ordering sexed pullets from a hatchery also cuts down on unwanted roosters that people buying from feedstores sometimes end up with.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I ordered from McMurray this past spring, and was very pleased with them. I did loose one chick to shipping stress, but they sent me a few extras that made up for it. They do have a minimum order of 25 though, but that shouldn't be a problem for you [​IMG]

5. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Another vote for Meyer. Ordered 15 chicks, 14 arrived alive mid september (the one got trampled in transport, not Meyers fault). It took 48 hours for them to reach me (Ohio->Maryland). I think USPS kept them overnight in a nearby distribution facility, which was probably unnecessary and I could have gotten them earlier. The 14 are thriving and getting bigger and more curious by the day. They're 3 weeks old today. I also got a prompt refund for the one dead chick.

6. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Mcmurray, they included extras [​IMG]

7. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    my pet chicken has great birds really frendly and if you dont want to deal with getting extras they dont send any

8. yankeefan

yankeefan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I had a good experience with MPC also.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A little difficult to work with but I like Sandhill Preservation.

10. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    I will be getting Barred Hollands int he spring..a nd the only hatchery I have found that has them is Ideal.. does anyone know of another? I am in South Carolina..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by