best hatchery to purchase dark cornish?

I know this is an older thread, but I have to say I'm totally happy with the 13 Dark Cornish that I got from McMurray.

They're only 5 months old right now, all pullets. They are not all the same size, but are all very beautiful and some are very large. A few are smaller, I haven't weighed them yet, I'm waiting until they get older. Beautiful birds and great temperament so far.

Here's a pic for reference.

I am also looking for some breeding stock Dark Cornish and live near Greenville SC. I would like to cross them with Delawares or Buckeyes (I've read several places that those are good crosses) I like the Heritage breeds. If anyone knows of a decent breeder near me I would very much appreciate it. This thread has been very helpful. I would rather not get them from a hatchery but knowing experiences of some of them helps.

Sorry, i been absent.
My dark cornish that originated from McMurray hatchery were definitely not SOP. They are longer legged and thinner than SOP. But still thicker than standard layers.
they were nice birds.but their colors vary. some roosters had the dark cornish color, others had a partridge pattern. They were extremely slow to reach butchering size. I gave most a way and kept one pair of the better looking birds. They are docile birds that have mixed well with my layer flock.
the hen pecks small holes in her eggs,every day. Im debating selling them. im holding out hoping she'll stop and go broody.

Sorry, i been absent.
My dark cornish that originated from McMurray hatchery were definitely not SOP. They are longer legged and thinner than SOP. But still thicker than standard layers.
they were nice birds.but their colors vary. some roosters had the dark cornish color, others had a partridge pattern. They were extremely slow to reach butchering size. I gave most a way and kept one pair of the better looking birds. They are docile birds that have mixed well with my layer flock.
the hen pecks small holes in her eggs,every day. Im debating selling them. im holding out hoping she'll stop and go broody.
Sorry your experience with McMurray's Dark Cornish wasn't great.

We have 13 DC from them and are very happy. Our's just reached 30 weeks old and we have one who went broody today (I think). She won't leave the nesting box and is sitting on 6-8 eggs. We'll see.

Most of ours are a good size, two are smaller, but I don't mind as we aren't wanting them for meat birds. The DC seem to be the most stable and calm of our diversified flock. I really enjoy the way they look and they are very reliable egg layers.

HI I have a proven breeding pair of Dark Cornish and would like any information on where to look to see what their value is as a proven breeding pair. I am considering posting them and if I do they will be in the sell trade forum right now I am just thinking about it. I incubated 6 eggs just to see what would happen as far as fertility and all six hatched. Thank you for any help on where to look.

I have 4 dark cornish hens and a rooster from murray mcmurray. They arrived april 20 and are the smallest birds out of that group. My hens are partridge pattern and the roos legs are way too long and hes not very thick st all. My EE roo of same batch bullies him. Ill snap some pics after work tomorrow

I have 4 dark cornish hens and a rooster from murray mcmurray. They arrived april 20 and are the smallest birds out of that group. My hens are partridge pattern and the roos legs are way too long and hes not very thick st all. My EE roo of same batch bullies him. Ill snap some pics after work tomorrow
We didn't get a DC roo from McMurray as we already had several roos, but I wondered about it. I'd love to see pictures.

Back
Top Bottom