1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best hatching position for a serama

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muddipuppy, Sep 26, 2009.

1. muddipuppy

muddipuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    i've been told in a carton but then there is the controversy of big end up or on their sides. advice please, tomorrow is lockdown!

2. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I do the carton method, but I trim the sides shorter. If they have been incubating with the small end down I would not lay them on their sides. When I did this with my first serama hatch, the babies drowned when they pipped. But then again, I know folks that leave them with broodies or on their sides and do fine too. Just make sure your humidity is at least 70%, for some reason they "stick" if it is lower, good luck! They are the tinyest cutest things!

3. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I leave mine on their sides...BUT- I suck at the incubator so I have lots of broodies... Some hatches are great and some are not so great in that incubation contraption! lol

I agree about the humidity..up it a bit..they are small and sometimes have trouble pipping quickly and then the membrane gets stuck to them as it dries and they get trapped.

4. muddipuppy

muddipuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    i've been incubating on their sides...

5. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm sorry, never have or see serama, just have *village chicken* over here.

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Mulia have you seen pictures of seramas? Here are my bantam - small/tiny, silkie chicks - the fuzzy ones, they're two weeks old, and beside them FOUR week old seramas, to give you an idea of size.

[​IMG]

And here are some adults: this is Saul, he's about as tall standing up as a coke can - the HUGE thing he's standing on is my small hand to give you an idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That's my new Birchen Roo, my 12 week old silkies weigh about the same and look bigger - poofy.

He's full grown. Compared to a village chicken he's probably about 1/5 that size.

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I tried the first batch of seramas here in a carton... Now I'm trying them on their sides...

We'll see

9. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:Here is are some serama!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

oOw, i think that *village chicken* here is breed of many interbreed breed all over the world, when a hen set her own lay eggs, she hatch many different color of chicken (can even 6 colors on 1 chick and if hatch 5 chicks all can have different color) and i do think that she is not being mated by 6 different roos of course.

and it's really hard now to different between breed of chicken here compared to all chickens photos posted on BYC. really need to take all side of them (like in police archive) and post them on BYC to know the truth or need a DNA test?

really really confused when BYC member asked me, what breed you have over there mulia? [​IMG] em, village chicken. [​IMG]

ETA : and thank you for sharing those whole beauty roos and ladies pics, they're really really beauty. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by