Best 'healing' food for sick or injured chickens?

countrycakelady

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 16, 2012
Eastern NC
I would like to know what are some of the best 'healing' foods to give to sick or injured chickens....one of my Golden Comets got pecked rather badly the past several days, she is now confined by herself until healing can occur...this a.m. I had a scrambled egg with some raw garlic and a spoonful of sugar free yogurt for her for breakfast, she loved it! :) I am just thinking of other things will help her in the healing process..she is currently out free ranging the back yard while everyone else is still confined to their coop/run....and she's having a good time! :) I will go out later when everyone else gets their time out into the yard, and will put her back up so she's protected until she can get healed up........

Scrambled eggs are good, and garlic is too, so I'd continue with that. you can also give her applesauce (chickens usually like it) and some moistened chicken feed. Yogurt is good, too, as it contains benificial probiotics. You might also want to add a little apple cider vinegar to her water, as that can help a chicken heal as well, and has other benefits, too.

Hello :)

Sounds like you are on the right track to me. Extra protein from eggs and meat is great as us garlic. Many herbs also have medicinal properties that can help ward off infection and keep swelling down. There is a topical product called nu-stock that is great for healing wounds. There are recipes floating around to make your own as well.

Other than high protein, keeping the wound clean and keeping her in a safe location I am not sure how much more you can do.

Happy chickening!

Organic spinach and/or holy basil (fairly obscure and hard to find - check upscale grocers/farmer's markets) are great choices. Also, I second the apple cider vinegar in the water - natural immunity booster, helps fight infection.

Some of these herbs can be added as essential oils. Coconut oil is also a great anti-microbial, though it solidifies at around room temperature.

My 6 year-old daughter would like to contribute:
yogurt and garlic and applesauce and rise krispies and flax seeds and scrambled eggs and basil and oregano and thats allit.

I do not know a lot about much of anything when it comes to chickens but anytime I have had animals that were dying and needed to be saved I have always done peanut butter, water or sugar water, yogurt, stuff like that high in energy. Might want to get more advice from others though, this is just my input saving many animals on deaths door.

A good all-flock feed, or chick starter, rather than layer pellets, as her main diet, if she's eating. Eggs are good, and while them goodies mentioned above help with a bird too ill to want to eat, she sounds like that's not the case. Don't upset her digestion, stick with a more normal balanced diet.
If you have a bully, move her on!
Mary

One other thing we often put into their water is our homemade kombucha. It has many of the same probiotics as ACV and yogurt, but it doesn't cost us anything because we always have a batch brewing!

The egg is about 12% protein, but has the perfect balance of amino acids for her. It takes a lot of protein to heal, so I will typically move to an 18% feed and provide a table spoon of canned pink salmon along with the eggs. The key is moderation and balance. Everything you give her in addition to her feed will dilute the vitamins and minerals she gets from the feed.

Back
Top Bottom