Best heritage breed meat bird?

I am doing some research on Black Cooper Marans. I have heard they are great for meat, but their egg production slows in the heat. I am doing some research trying to find a reputable breeder to purchase some hatching eggs from to get my flock started.

Bob, there is a very large thread titled "Marans Thread". I have been there a couple times learning about my blue copper marans roosters. I am confident you will find people to answer all your questions pertaining to this breed over there. You might also check out your states thread in "where am I? Where are you?" To find some one local who breeds them should you choose to get some.
I am doing some research on Black Cooper Marans. I have heard they are great for meat, but their egg production slows in the heat. I am doing some research trying to find a reputable breeder to purchase some hatching eggs from to get my flock started.

I assume you want the dressed weight at 4 - 5 lbs, I had good luck with the Dark Cornish roosters reaching that weight. The RIR was a close second. I'll be tracking my first generation cross this year. The chicks are substantial larger than either the straight cornish or RIR's.

No :) Dark Cornish and White Rocks. I'm trying to re-invent the wheel a little bit but create a more self sustainable bird.

I bet the DC / RIR would be interesting however I wanted to breed down the colored plumage since a lot of processors charge extra for colored plumage.

Really, RIRs reach that weight? Good thing is I have 7 RIR roosters right now that are going to be butchered soon. That makes me feel better.

Rooster can, not hens (that I have seen). Make sure if you are planning on growing out the roosters for broilers you feed them broiler feed to help them along as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom