Best Heritage Turkeys for newbie

This is an interesting topic of conversation. I have a 6'x10' hoop coop that I built and wanted to put some turkeys in it, as well. However, I intend on using a 164' poultry netting to give them some foraging area. I probably won't get to move it too much but, they'll have the space outside of the coop. Would that be enough for a full breeding set. Was thinking 3-4 hens and 1 tom. They'll have open availability of feed and water. I was going to pick up about 10 Naragansette Poults this spring. I would choose which group I'd like to keep for breeding and process the rest in late fall. That would make them about 7-8 months old when processed. At only 7-8 months of age, will the Naragansette birds wield enough meat to be worth it? Will the space I'm providing be enough for 5 or 6 birds?

I will add that I do have the space that I can let them free range. There's probably less issue with predation with turkeys compared to chickens but, there is that risk still. Would it be better to keep them penned in until a certain age in order to keep them nesting in the coop? I really don't want to wander my property looking for eggs because they decide to do it in the trees and brush.

I will add that I do have the space that I can let them free range. There's probably less issue with predation with turkeys compared to chickens but, there is that risk still. Would it be better to keep them penned in until a certain age in order to keep them nesting in the coop? I really don't want to wander my property looking for eggs because they decide to do it in the trees and brush.
Turkeys are seasonal layers so you only need to keep them penned during laying season. In your case laying season could run from mid March through October depending on how you deal with them. If you keep them from going broody, they may lay all summer. If you allow them to keep their eggs and go broody, they may be done laying for the year or at least as long as they are raising the poults.

Do turkeys return to a central place to roost or will they roost wherever is the most convenient? I have a lightly wooded area that I could fence in and it would be plenty of room for them. Probably close to an acre of land. I may let them share the area with another animal that I want to raise. (I'd have to see what animals are compatible to keep with turkeys) I'd consider putting a Dexter cow in there. Will turkeys scratch through the cow droppings as well as chickens will?

Do turkeys return to a central place to roost or will they roost wherever is the most convenient? I have a lightly wooded area that I could fence in and it would be plenty of room for them. Probably close to an acre of land. I may let them share the area with another animal that I want to raise. (I'd have to see what animals are compatible to keep with turkeys) I'd consider putting a Dexter cow in there. Will turkeys scratch through the cow droppings as well as chickens will?
Turkeys can be trained to roost in a particular area if provided with desirable roosts. Other than the craters they dig for dust baths, turkeys are not the scratchers that chickens are and probably will not break up cow patties as well as chickens will.

For Heritage Turkeys, just pick a color since their size is all about the same besides the Midget Whites being a little smaller.

They need a lot of space, for what you plan to do space wise that would be enough to get 4 of them to adult sized.

We maintain a breeding group year round of Bourbon Reds, a tom and 4 girls but last fall my older tom didn't object to a young son and 2 more girls moving in with them. We'll see what he thinks when March rolls around and breeding season starts up. Their indoor pen is 8x12 and their outdoor pen is 25x60-ish.

We grow out about a dozen a year, I have a 20x20 pen with a 9x6 shelter inside. I put all 12 in there once they're off heat. From there, I pull the girls out and sell them at about 3 months old. That takes the group down in size to where the space will be enough for the remaining boys, depending on what the ratio was. The sale of the girls pays for the remaining feed for the boys who stay behind.

We see a dress weight of 15-17lbs by 7 months old. For Heritage birds, I keep babies out of March/April hatches so that they're big enough and in the right feather for plucking by Thanksgiving. May hatch is pushing it and June is almost too late (they'll be full of pin feathers)

For hen raised babies, she'll need put up in her own spot. The toms can/will trample the nests. I incubate the eggs so that I can get those earlier babies.

They're quite driven to range, if they don't have enough space they may take that out on each other or you. Once a male Turkey fixates on someone he doesn't like he'll have a hard time giving it up. The more space they have, the happier they are.

I did notice that our Bourbons were a lot calmer than the Narragansetts we had, I only did the Narragansetts for 2 years, I like the Bourbons better.

Back
Top Bottom