1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Best humidity for syrofoam incy?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by delaswim, Mar 3, 2011.

1. delaswim

delaswim In the Brooder

Feb 28, 2011
    Smithville, MO
    Right now mine is reading 26%, and I know that's low. I guess I need to add water to more channels. Any thoughts?

2. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I run my homemade incubator at 50% for the first eighteen days, I then up it to 70-75% for the hatch so 26% sounds very low to me.

3. kvmommy

kvmommy Songster

Jan 2, 2011
    Alot of people don't add any humidity before lockdown and do fine...in fact many recommend it. I think its fine. Mine ran a little low but when I added water it'd get too high. Then I kept it on the low side and they were fine.

4. delaswim

delaswim In the Brooder

Feb 28, 2011
    Smithville, MO
    I thought 26% was low too. I added water to some of the other channels and it registered 40% after about 3 hours. So I think I'm good to go. Just want to make sure I don't drown them with too much humidity.

5. delaswim

delaswim In the Brooder

Feb 28, 2011
    Smithville, MO
    Thanks so much for the link to that info! Definitely picked up some info I'll use. I didn't even think about the eggs being lower in the incy once you remove them from the turner. I bet a lot of people don't realized that either. Man I hope I get a decent amount of chicks from this batch.

I've got 14 eggs going right now. They're due to hatch March 20th.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by