Best incubator for beginner

If I could do it again, I wouldn't have got a Little Giant. My temp on mine go up and down. It's hard to regulate. And I don't like it. Save up for something better. But that's MO.

Do yourself a favor, get something with a fan. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches.
smile.png

Now having both an LG and hova I can say I hate the LG. The temp setting is touchier and the base is too shallow. It needs more water trays and a deeper base. If I hatch quail in there the chicks are gonna scatter and be all over the house when I open it. I'm thinking about how to add some plastic or mesh to the outside of the bottom so when I lift the top off it isn't nearly flat across so the chicks can't just walk out. Then I'm going to have to find some sponges or something I can stuff under the mesh so I can get the humidity up beyond what the tiny little water wells provide.

HI

I have Hovabator 1588 with turner. I just put in a few egg for the very first time last night.
big_smile.png

I picked this one because it is basically add water, plug it in add eggs and wait.
big_smile.png

Ill let you know hoa I make out. I'm a newbie at this too!
fl.gif

Quote:
I just set my first eggs, so I don't have any experience, but I would just put the bator/hatcher into an over sized cardboard box. That way when the chicks "jump ship" they will still be contained. I think that would be easier than fiddling around with plastic mesh and such.

Swamp

I love my Genesis 1588...easy and reliable. I paid $167 for the bator, egg turner and shipping and thinking of ordering another.

Michelle

Where did you order that from? I am thinking of getting one too

I have been wanting to get my first incubator too. I have heard good things about the hova-bator 1588. But that model is a bit big for me. So how is the Turn-x6 or Turn-x7. Or perhaps the R-com mini that does 3 chicken or 7 quail eggs. I am a small scale quail keeper, wanting to only do a small amount of eggs at a time. I would like to hatch more than 7 eggs. But would settle with that if that is the better model. I have searched here on BYC for all the models. But would like more information if it is out there.

I think it would be a shame to waste so much space in the 1588. And I cant go bigger with my hatching operation. I have no where to keep the larger birds. I can only keep Button Quail for now.

Thank you.

I had no idea what to get when I first got interested, heck a incubator is a incubator is a incubator, or so I thought.

I did a lot of reading on here, asking questions to some of the fine folks on here......and the one that kept getting mentioned was the Genesis 1588. No one had a complaint as others did with whatever they may have used.

So, when I finally had my mind made up to get one, I decided to use the advice from so many good folks on here and I bought the 1588 Hova-bator and 1611 turner.

I havent had the chance to use it yet, but I'm confident when I do, it will perform up to its expectations.

Back
Top Bottom