Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I am a newbie, have never had chickens, just in process of building a coop/run. Had planned on getting 1 day olds or ready to lay depending on when I finish my build.

My sister has just moved onto an acreage whose owner keeps chickens, geese, ducks, lambs. She visits me regularly and will bring fertilized eggs on her next visit in July - mild panic!

I have started to read about incubators, see prices from $30 to $300 or more, note that there are both still and circulating air types, have learned that temperature and humidity controls are critical, understand that hatching is a hit and miss process for many people.

There will no doubt be very good primers on this forum but would appreciate any advice and links to good posts/articles that would help me decide what I should buy.

Thanks in advance.

I think it depends on the person. Brinsea is one of the big names. I however didn’t like it much when I barrowed mini. I am currently working with a nurture right 360 I do like it. It has been easier to use than the mini.

Nothing can even come close to the old Leahy redwood incubators or the clones they made that carry the badges of other sellers. Leahy knew the secret to an excellent incubator - complete air circulation with no stagnant areas.
images (1).jpeg

A used GQF cabinet incubator would be your best choice IMO. They can be had from $200-300 and you can sell them for exactly what you bought them for years later. Used ones are always in high demand. They automatically turn the eggs and hold temp/humidity very well. You will have excellent hatch rates.....

20180525_144445.jpg

A used GQF cabinet incubator would be your best choice IMO. They can be had from $200-300 and you can sell them for exactly what you bought them for years later. Used ones are always in high demand. They automatically turn the eggs and hold temp/humidity very well. You will have excellent hatch rates...View attachment 1801733

I will look on the used sites in Canada (kijiji, ebay) but we tend to have more limited choice. What sites would you suggest in North Eastern USA?

Cabinet incubators are nice but I don't think you're planning on hatching out that many birds at a time.

Table top size with egg turner and circulating fan is all you need. The Hovabator Genesis (1588) is very user friendly.

Incubator Warehouse has good prices. I assume they will ship to Canada. As for the turner just buy that at your local feed store. Both little giant or hovabator turner fit into this incubator so whatever is local will be your cheapest bet.

https://incubatorwarehouse.com/hova-bator-genesis-1588-egg-incubator.html

Last edited:
I will look on the used sites in Canada (kijiji, ebay) but we tend to have more limited choice. What sites would you suggest in North Eastern USA?
Facebook Marketplace has been my best source, just set your search area to however far you're willing to drive and then search "incubator."

@Egghead_Jr - I didn't think a FI turner would fit in a HovaBator, that's good to know! I could use a third, so if I see one cheap now I can snap it up :)

Back
Top Bottom