Best Incubator

hkirchn

Songster
9 Years
Feb 17, 2014
Canton, MO
I have had chickens for many years and had an incubator some time ago. I recently acquired a few jumbo Coturnix Quail and will need to purchase an incubator. Does anyone have suggestions or can you tell me what works best? I'm not needing a large incubator I'm keeping things small!

Ive have several different brands and all have thier pluses and minuses as far as incubators. My favorite is my Hovabator 1588. It has a set temperature and is easy to maintain humidity. Nice big window and you can add a turner and a automatic humidity control pump to it for hands free incubating. Its got alot of "head room" for when chicks hatch and a fan so they dry quick. It runs around $150.00
genesisanglewht_2.jpg

My second fav is my Incuview. It has a built in turner and humidity gauge. You can either take the tray out on lockdown or leave it in which is what I did to keep chicks from playing soccer with the eggs that havent hatched yet. The eggs lay flat and they are "rolled" by the tray. On lockdown I just remove the pin that "turns" the tray so the eggs arent rolled during hatch. And as you can see it has a nice big window and easy to clean since its all plastic.
img_0743-web_2.jpg

I also have a Hovabator 1502n still air that works great. You can get it with a fan for a few dollars more. Its the most economical if your worried about price. Its around $50.00 for still air and I think $15.00 more for the fan.
hb_1602n.jpg

Then I have 3 Nurture Right 360 incubators. (I won them on a raffle sight).
Ive only used one so far but it works great. It comes with a digital readout telling you days til hatch, humidity, and has an automatic turner that "rolls" the eggs. Make sure the eggs arent tight inside the egg turner so they can roll. It holds 22 eggs. It has a compartment outside of the incubator to add water( use distilled per instructions) and a built in candeler. It runs about $130.00 at TSC.
20190316_132843.jpg

The other incubators you can buy at Incubatorwarehouse.com. Besides the first three options listed, they have other models listed with the details for each. If your looking for an incubator that doesnt take up alot of space, the Incuview or the NR360 are your best bet.

I would suggest that you get the 1588 - Genesis Hova-Bator we have had good hatch rate if you keep humidity in its proper place and you store them properly before you put them in you should be good if you go onto http://www.gqfmfg.com/12-volt-hova-bator/1588-genesis-hova-bator/ then you can see it. if you are not in the states then they will not ship to you but if you aren't you could go on to https://www.berryhill.ca/Incubator-Digital-HovaBator-Incubator-with-Turner-p/1588rk.htm this one has a turner for hatching turkey size eggs to quail size eggs.

the next link has a turner that can fit 50 duck or chicken eggs but can fit 120 quail eggs https://www.berryhill.ca/Incubator-Digital-HovaBator-Incubator-Quail-Turner-p/1588rkq.htm all of theese would be a good choice. it all depends on what you want to hatch they are all the same incubator the only difference is the turner.

I would suggest that you get the 1588 - Genesis Hova-Bator we have had good hatch rate if you keep humidity in its proper place and you store them properly before you put them in you should be good if you go onto http://www.gqfmfg.com/12-volt-hova-bator/1588-genesis-hova-bator/ then you can see it. if you are not in the states then they will not ship to you but if you aren't you could go on to https://www.berryhill.ca/Incubator-Digital-HovaBator-Incubator-with-Turner-p/1588rk.htm this one has a turner for hatching turkey size eggs to quail size eggs.

the next link has a turner that can fit 50 duck or chicken eggs but can fit 120 quail eggs https://www.berryhill.ca/Incubator-Digital-HovaBator-Incubator-Quail-Turner-p/1588rkq.htm all of theese would be a good choice. it all depends on what you want to hatch they are all the same incubator the only difference is the turner.
:welcome :frow My opinion is you can hatch in most anything if the conditions are right. I made an incubator from a cooler. I also have a cabinet I incubate in. When I have a smaller hatch I will use the cooler incubator. I do have a couple of turners and I will put a turner in it. I converted my cabinet to an electronic thermostat so I took one of the wafer thermostats out and put it in the cooler with a couple of 15 watt incandescent bulbs for heat. It can be seen in this post. works great.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...tor-hatching-experiment.1308191/post-21325874

Ive have several different brands and all have thier pluses and minuses as far as incubators. My favorite is my Hovabator 1588. It has a set temperature and is easy to maintain humidity. Nice big window and you can add a turner and a automatic humidity control pump to it for hands free incubating. Its got alot of "head room" for when chicks hatch and a fan so they dry quick. It runs around $150.00
View attachment 1874759
My second fav is my Incuview. It has a built in turner and humidity gauge. You can either take the tray out on lockdown or leave it in which is what I did to keep chicks from playing soccer with the eggs that havent hatched yet. The eggs lay flat and they are "rolled" by the tray. On lockdown I just remove the pin that "turns" the tray so the eggs arent rolled during hatch. And as you can see it has a nice big window and easy to clean since its all plastic.
View attachment 1874760
I also have a Hovabator 1502n still air that works great. You can get it with a fan for a few dollars more. Its the most economical if your worried about price. Its around $50.00 for still air and I think $15.00 more for the fan.
View attachment 1874763

Then I have 3 Nurture Right 360 incubators. (I won them on a raffle sight).
Ive only used one so far but it works great. It comes with a digital readout telling you days til hatch, humidity, and has an automatic turner that "rolls" the eggs. Make sure the eggs arent tight inside the egg turner so they can roll. It holds 22 eggs. It has a compartment outside of the incubator to add water( use distilled per instructions) and a built in candeler. It runs about $130.00 at TSC.
View attachment 1874756

The other incubators you can buy at Incubatorwarehouse.com. Besides the first three options listed, they have other models listed with the details for each. If your looking for an incubator that doesnt take up alot of space, the Incuview or the NR360 are your best bet.

Hi. I have a new Hova Bator. I’m a little confused about how the turner works. We set our eggs today. I had more than 42. Have you ever placed more than 42 chicken eggs? Also, the turner seems to be moving the eggs in all sorts of directions, and not keeping them perfectly in line. I don’t want to open the lid just to put them back straight. Is it ok if they aren’t in a perfect line? This is my third time to incubate eggs, but my first time in the Hova Bator. Thank you

Hi. I have a new Hova Bator. I’m a little confused about how the turner works. We set our eggs today. I had more than 42. Have you ever placed more than 42 chicken eggs? Also, the turner seems to be moving the eggs in all sorts of directions, and not keeping them perfectly in line. I don’t want to open the lid just to put them back straight. Is it ok if they aren’t in a perfect line? This is my third time to incubate eggs, but my first time in the Hova Bator. Thank you
It's fine if they're not in a perfect line.

IMG_2990.JPG

I like this incubator, I got from my feed store $109. I can set eggs and walk away until day 18 if I wanted. This would be great for a beginner.
After day 18 at lockdown, you just have to take out the turner, and add water.
I move my eggs though to a farm innovator incubator-still air, (ebay $68?) because I don't want the hatching mess in this incubator. (Both foam)

Does anyone have any experience using any of the Borotto incubators? I have heard very good things about both of their lines, Real and Lumia, in terms of being low maintenance for heat and humidity regulation.

Back
Top Bottom