Best Integration Methods?

I do what I call “Drop Integration” where I just add the new bird or birds to the flock and let them work it out. It’s worked just fine for me and I’ve done it with 4 birds all added separately. Even with a look no touch integration the birds will squabble when they are physically together. It takes about 2 weeks for the flock to accept the newcomer.
The birds that I have drop integrated were all 5+ months of age. I wouldn’t integrate any bird under 3 months of age with this method.
Thank you for your insight. I did this method. I agree that squabbles will happen either way, it’s the pecking order, nothing will change that. However, since Cochins are a more laid back breed this was all done under my supervision. :) My hens showed only minor aggression to assert their dominance, and the majority didn’t even peck the new girls. I personally don’t think age is really relevant, at least in my case, I think it has mostly to do with the personality of the chicken, whether they’re domineering or mellow.

I do think breed plays a big part but I recently add 4 seramas hen/pullets in with my silkies. Quarantine was worst than intergration, the serama hens bullied the pullets and the poor girls are missing so tail feathers. When I put the seramas in the coop I had my husband install higher roost as the seramas fly and the silkies don't but it wasn't needed. I put them in and they went over to the water, feeder and then started dust bathing and within in minutes the silkies joined then in the dust, I guess in chicken world a family that grooms together stays together :DIt was just another day in the neighbor hood no bickering at all.

Attachments

• 1489277E-6E6A-414D-8029-AB2E6A231B28.jpeg
    1489277E-6E6A-414D-8029-AB2E6A231B28.jpeg
    624.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 82AC07DF-BC5B-43EA-B173-D96056814F70.jpeg
    82AC07DF-BC5B-43EA-B173-D96056814F70.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 12
  • E54DF829-6031-472B-9F1D-D6B6B2F9FE23.jpeg
    E54DF829-6031-472B-9F1D-D6B6B2F9FE23.jpeg
    442.3 KB · Views: 13
I do think breed plays a big part but I recently add 4 seramas hen/pullets in with my silkies. Quarantine was worst than intergration, the serama hens bullied the pullets and the poor girls are missing so tail feathers. When I put the seramas in the coop I had my husband install higher roost as the seramas fly and the silkies don't but it wasn't needed. I put them in and they went over to the water, feeder and then started dust bathing and within in minutes the silkies joined then in the dust, I guess in chicken world a family that grooms together stays together :DIt was just another day in the neighbor hood no bickering at all.
I love the look your silkie roo is giving the serama pullet in the second pic :lol: so cute!

I love last pic! It's like they are saying, "Sup" to each other!
:lau

I guess it just goes to show that it helps to really know your birds so that your can respond to their behaviors.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I'm thinking about integrating some new pullets in spring. It's been helpful to read different ideas. Thanks for asking, @Table4Six !

I love last pic! It's like they are saying, "Sup" to each other!
:lau

I guess it just goes to show that it helps to really know your birds so that your can respond to their behaviors.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I'm thinking about integrating some new pullets in spring. It's been helpful to read different ideas. Thanks for asking, @Table4Six !
No problem :D I’m glad we could both benefit from this thread.

Our original flock is very peaceful but contains no white birds. We tried to integrate 4 white birds and 1 that's ginger and blue. The ginger and blue one has been accepted no problem, even though she's a Silkie. The 4 white (non Silkie) birds are still needing their own separate space after 6 months or they are the recipients of some nasty comb pecking. I'm hoping when we move house and they are in a completely new space everyone just gets over it. :fl

I have 2 that are 4months old, I was being a baby and not blending them, I like them to feed and drink in the morning by themselves, then I blend them around noon, them separate at night, so they can eat alone again in the morning. It is best to blend a bigger group if you can.

Back
Top Bottom