Best layer feed

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
Hello I am new to BYC and thought this was a good first post. What is the best feed for layers, right now my girls are on Layena crumbles but I was wondering if there is a better feed out there for them, they are not free range but have a good normal size run. They are super pampered (bubble baths, names, lots of cuddles ect) so I always want to make sure they have the best of everything.
I have 13 girls (4 Easter Eggers, 1 Ameriucana, 2 silkie hens, 1 black Copper Maran, 1 Barred Rock Hen, 1 blue orpington, 1 polish hen, 1 silkie Barred Rock Cross, and 1 silkie Ameriucana cross) and one silkie boy

I see you have a rooster, does he eat layer feed? The extra calcium is not good for non-layers. I would suggest an all-flock feed, or even starter-grower, with oyster shell offered on the side for any hen who needs it.

I see you have a rooster, does he eat layer feed? The extra calcium is not good for non-layers. I would suggest an all-flock feed, or even starter-grower, with oyster shell offered on the side for any hen who needs it.
Yes he does eat the layer feed but seems to be doing OK, I will think about switching since I am planning on getting another bantam roo, my roo is not a very motivated boy

Unfortunately, there really isn't an overall best for everyone. With feed being a cheap but heavy commodity, it tends to be very localized. I like the Orschelns "Country Lane" brand personally. Had no complaints from my chickens either.
OK I will look into that one

I know a few members that use & recommend these feeds from TSC:
0B94F417-D529-41AD-BD21-96A556A6415A.png 79A9431A-7B09-453E-961A-9B33D5819E66.png

:goodpost:

The nutritional composition of "Layer" feed is designed to minimize costs, first and foremost, while providing just enough nutrition that losses due to feed inadequacies do not exceed the cost of a superior nutritional offering under commercial management practices.

Your rooster seems to be doing OK because you have no standard against which to compare.

As @Iluveggers has correctly pointed out, excess calcium is bad for roosters - its a progressive pathology and thus escapes the notice of most.

For the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management, I recommend an All Flock/Flock Raiser* type feed for every bird of every geneder and every age, without regard to onset of lay or condition of molt, together with fresh clean water, free choice oyster shell, and free choice grit - in seperate dishes, of course.

*Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine.

Because its easy for you, and its good nutrition for them.
If the numbers are important to you, and you don't care how they are arrived at, choose the Purina pictured above. If you want less processed ingredients, at the expsense of a slight increase in price (its a 40# bag, not 50#) and some minor to modest reductions in raw nutritional number, choose the Nutrena pictured above.

I've personally used both, and been quite satisfied with the results.

My flock is in my signature, below.

/edit Crumble, if you have chicks. Otherwise, pellet is fine. Waste can be managed in either case by serving as a wet mash.

Back
Top Bottom