Best layer feed

Also, WELCOME to BYC!

Strongly opinionated people here, but we mean well. Don't hesitate to ask people to support their opinions, and remember there is no "one, right way" or everyone would do it (except that one guy, because there's always that one guy...) There are, however, thousands of wrong ways.

...and in the interest of full disclosure, I don't feed my own birds as I recommend above, but I have neither the typical backyard flock, nor the typical backyard management.

Also, WELCOME to BYC!

Strongly opinionated people here, but we mean well. Don't hesitate to ask people to support their opinions, and remember there is no "one, right way" or everyone would do it (except that one guy, because there's always that one guy...) There are, however, thousands of wrong ways.

...and in the interest of full disclosure, I don't feed my own birds as I recommend above, but I have neither the typical backyard flock, nor the typical backyard management.
Okay thanks, I am going to switch them to the all flock crumbles, I think it will be better for them also because I've been trying to find ways to add more protein to the hen's diet and this would definitely help. Thanks again :D:hugs

Unfortunately tractor supply was out of flock raiser I still have about 25 pounds of layena so I will wait till it's back in stock. Hopefully they get it soon.:fl
Did you ask if they had any in back? Not being an ass, just I haven't bought it off the shelf since mid-January. Mine has always had it though.

I've been trying to find ways to add more protein
I was part of a recent thread "Rooster Care Tips" where Nutrena Meatbird and Purina Gamebird feeds were mentioned as good sources of extra protein that are also safe for roosters in the long run. Both were available at TSC - I got the small bag (10lbs) of Purina crumbles to use as a protein boost during molting:
20220524_194326.jpg

Did you ask if they had any in back? Not being an ass, just I haven't bought it off the shelf since mid-January. Mine has always had it though.
No worries and yes but they said they didn't. I ordered some for pickup and they called earlier today to say it was ready. I started transitioning them tonight I have about 7 pounds of layers feed left so I am transitioning slow.

:goodpost:

The nutritional composition of "Layer" feed is designed to minimize costs, first and foremost, while providing just enough nutrition that losses due to feed inadequacies do not exceed the cost of a superior nutritional offering under commercial management practices.

Your rooster seems to be doing OK because you have no standard against which to compare.

As @Iluveggers has correctly pointed out, excess calcium is bad for roosters - its a progressive pathology and thus escapes the notice of most.

For the typical backyard owner, of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management, I recommend an All Flock/Flock Raiser* type feed for every bird of every geneder and every age, without regard to onset of lay or condition of molt, together with fresh clean water, free choice oyster shell, and free choice grit - in seperate dishes, of course.

*Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine.

Because its easy for you, and its good nutrition for them.
If the numbers are important to you, and you don't care how they are arrived at, choose the Purina pictured above. If you want less processed ingredients, at the expsense of a slight increase in price (its a 40# bag, not 50#) and some minor to modest reductions in raw nutritional number, choose the Nutrena pictured above.

I've personally used both, and been quite satisfied with the results.

My flock is in my signature, below.

/edit Crumble, if you have chicks. Otherwise, pellet is fine. Waste can be managed in either case by serving as a wet mash.
The problem I’ve had with the wet mash is that if there’s any left over, the container creates mold almost immediately and then I’m wasting feed and having to wash a container out again. Any way to fix this?

Back
Top Bottom