Best-laying Rose-comb Breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Freeholder, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    Any suggestions on what rose-combed breed would make the best layers? And where to get them? I've been reading about RC Brown Leghorns, but someone said they don't lay very well....

Kathleen

2. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Wyandottes are usually great layers.

3. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    Someone lied to you. Leghorns of all varieties, single comb, rose comb, any color, on average are one of the best laying breeds. Hamburgs also have Rose Combs and are excellent layers. The Rose Comb Ancona is also an excellent layer. If your goal is just eggs I would look at those breeds.

4. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    Ditto! Remembering that one must breed one's fowl with egg-laying in mind.

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    Thanks! I'm going to go with the Brown Leghorns, then. I want economical egg-layers. We'll eat culls and spent laying hens, there are only two of us (myself and my daughter), so we don't need big chickens for meat (and my frig and freezer are usually full of other stuff, so don't need lots of left-overs, either!). I figured I was considering even bantam breeds for meat and eggs, and Leghorns lay better and are bigger than bantams, LOL!

Do Red Leghorns come in rose comb?

Kathleen

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  6. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    Nope, there are no RC Red Leghorns, but if it's that tone and hue, I'd recommend RC Dark Brown Leghorns. If you're interested, PM me.

Best,
    YHF

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by