Best material to make walkway up a slippery hill?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NellaBean, Jan 9, 2011.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    My property is on a hill. All of my coops/pens are built on hills. My big "rooster pen" has a hutch at the top and then the pen slopes down to where the gate is. I have slipped and fallen SO MANY times going down this hill. Hill plus chicken poop plus moisture equals me on my butt.

[​IMG]

What would be the best way to make a safe "path" up and down the hill? Sand? Gravel? Pavers? Landscape timbers as steps?

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Wood or pavers is what I would go with.

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I think playground mulch, or any type of heavy mulch works great!

4. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Wow, I feel for you. How about shoes with cleats..lol [​IMG] I think steps would be best, with gravel on each one. Good Luck to you.

5. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    gravel floats away, so does mulch. I have found that hay is the best, but if you want something permanent I would get cement pavers and make a nice path and just hose it when it gets dirty.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The ideal situation would be to revet in landscape ties (or similar) to make a series of broad steps, so the area you are stepping on is FLAT not slopey. It's not difficult, just requires a bit of digging; in some cases you may need to secure them more deeply e.g. by rebar or cut-off t-posts or that sort of thing, it depends on the slope and the soil and the size of whatever material you're using.

Another option would be to move the gate (or put in a second one) up against the barn, so you're walking up the grassy better-traction part of the hill and then just *across* the pen to the coop.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

7. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I would use cement pavers like a foot or so wide from the top to the bottom in the center.

-Nate

8. Asahi

Asahi New Egg

Jan 6, 2011
    Southeast South Dakota
    Be careful of railroad tie stairs. They are very slippery when wet. You might want to score them or glue some of that gritty stair tread stuff on them.

9. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    If you use cement pavers they will heave and thaw and then slope with the hill, I used cement blocks and they are terrible. I put salt on the ground where I will walk and that helps but you can not do that in a pen. Straw seems to hold up for awhile and is less slick. Or hay. I feel for you all my coops are down, down , down from my home on the hillside. My hillside is clay. I had my dh build a railing I could hold on to with gloves to steady me . Maybe a similar structure in the pen would help. ??? They will roost on it some but gloves keep the poo to a minimum. What we do for our hens.!!! Be careful. I am. Gloria Jean

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

When I was carrying my firstborn on a pillow walking down one of our hills, I fell. Fortunately he wasn't hurt- the pillow cushioned him, and I was able to hang onto him.

Well, after that, I installed flagstone stepping stones (they just look like grey rock, don't know what kind) from Home Depot on that hill! I had already installed some on another hill with great success.

All I did was dig a horizontal place to put it, cut into the hillside. They do tend to sink into the soil after a few years. I use my weed-eater to clear the grass around it.

I am happy with my stepping stones, and it has been about 10 years ago since the first project install. I haven't had to reinstall them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by