Best meat breed for beginners?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Sunny Side Up, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    A few of us more experienced processors are initiating a meat bird workshop for our local poultry club. We plan to get about 10 members to split an order of 100 chicks. Each person will raise their own 10 chicks, then when they're "ripe" we'll get together at one place to process. We may finish by doing them assembly-line, but everyone will get a chance to learn every step of the process.

I've never raised a quantity of Cornish Xs, instead all the birds I've raised for meat have been mixed-breed dual purpose cockerels. What kind of bird would you recommend for our project? Cornish X or some type of Free Ranger?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It won't make any difference to speak of, as far as the processing goes. Of course, Cornish X will be ready much more quickly. They will also "taste like chicken," or much like store bought, which might be what you will want for inexperienced folks. Dual purpose or even Freedom Rangers have an "old fashioned taste."

You might find this article interesting:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...raditional-meats-from-historic-chicken-breeds

3. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Freedom Rangers would be my suggestion. Easy as a regular chicken to tend to, grow fast (not like CX but faster then a standard breed)

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would suggest Cornish X. I think the end result will be much better, more meat for your time and effort. And I dont think they taste at all like store bought chicken if you raise them and let them run around and be chickens.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    The group has decided on Cornish Xs from Schlecht Hatcheries, due to arrive by the end of the week! This will be a new experience for many in the group. I've processed a lot of chickens, but have never raised a batch of Cornish Xs for myself, so I will learn a lot by this experience.

6. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona
    I'm a few weeks behind you, Sunny Side Up. I hope you'll share your experiences of Cornish X vs DP, so I can duplicate your success! [​IMG]

7. bluere11e

bluere11e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    West Palm Beach
    Hi Carol!
    I am so excited about the whole deal. It's going to be an experience. I looked into the freedom rangers and was thinking they might not be a bad choice for the next workshop in the fall [​IMG]
    However, I'm sort of weird in the idea that dark chickens always seem to have darker pores.. Like somebody stabbed them with and ink pen.. [​IMG]

So, I like the idea of white or light birds..
    I plan on visiting Julie a lot for old fruit and veggies to give to them, plus they'll be in the chicken tractor. I'm thinking it will give them a better taste?
    Coupled with them running around in fresh grass/weeds daily and fresh air and sun.. Might be good. I know all of your mixes we processed last year are free range.. The meat I got from you was the best I ever ate, and I think the 2 I got was a Barred cros and the other was a buff cross.. Not much breast meat, but delicious anyway

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by