Best Meat Chicken..

Quote:
I read somewhere that they get so big so quickly that they get deformed legs or even broken legs because of the weight. So much so that they can't free range and you have to put feeders/drinkers next to where they lay. Someone else said that you have to half starve them to free range them and to grow them a bit longer to improve the flavour.

Or maybe it depends on what the Cornish is crossed with???

Allowing them to free range isn't starving them. If you had someone bring you food all the time would you go get it? I ran Cornish Rocks with my other birds & except for one they all did great. The only difference between them & the other birds is they grow faster. They free ranged & roosted with the other birds. Another thing I have heard is they will not roost but mine did & they would even fly some (just a foot off the ground for a few feet but it is more then most people say they can do). I don't have one chicken that will turn down served food to go pick grass so you would have to call all my chickens lazy.

I too like the cornish cross. They're not fun to raise but they're fun to have in the freezer. They get grossly huge and taste excellent. Make sure to read up on proper aging of the birds after processing and you'll have no problems. Be prepared for lot's of poop and gluttonous eating. Really they are just feathered pigs. Don't expect them to be like a laying flock. They're just not that endearing.

DAn

Back
Top Bottom