Best Meat Rabbits??

Quote:
I am lucky to live near a former Polyface apprentice who just brought some home with him, so that is how I'm getting them. I doubt Salatin would ship any, since that is verboten according to his local-farming philosophy. You might have to make a trip to VA.
big_smile.png

For other breeds, you may be able to pick some up on Craigslist or at a small animal auction. Imagine they shut down up there for the winter, though, so you may need to wait till spring.

I can ask my friend for you to see if he is interested in shipping some. I get first dibs, though.
lol.png

He is selling them by the pound butchered, at $5 a pound. So, I expect to pay at least that much per pound. Probably more for breeding stock.

what is a polyface rabbit? Or a brazillian? Never heard of them. My breed of choice for meat? I love Champagne D'Argents. HUGE bodies, Sweet disposition. Usually large littlers and gorgeous fur coats. However all I could get around here was NZ 's and a Californian Cross doe. I have two different lines of NZ and you can really see the difference in their faces, lol. I haven't started breeding them yet, too harsh outside. I saved my baby angoras born Dec 8, they were born on a -15 day and even with lots of straw, pulled wool and getting milk they were still almost dead when I found em. They lived inside untill they were five weeks old and back out to momma they went. I didn't bottlefeed them, I brought momma inside and let her feed em.

I live just a state away from a cinnamon breeder, looking into them as well. it's too hard to eat the angoras, the kids love em too much. But we've done it before
sad.png

The cinnamons are cool. I've thought about them to but I hear they can be kind of mean. Which does make it easier to cull, I guess. Have you ever thought of the rare breed lilacs. They are calmer than cinnamons and are actually a light purple. The are a very rare breed too.

I have but the lilacs I've seen are not impressive by far. I like a large bunny. Pretty fur though. I did breed Van Beverens for a short time before i had to move to florida and give up my animals..they went to a fella in washington state. I have no idea what happened to them They were blue! I loved them so much, but you know sometimes moing to follow a job is more important.. sigh. At least now we are fairly stable and i can raise whatever I want
smile.png

we have californaians. they are pretty big rabbits. and they are not totally mean. I also have a New Zealand.

Mine are bred for 4-H for the kids, but then also through out the year for meat. in the colder months its a little hard to get them to breed sometimes, but its easier if you keep them bred/raising pert near year round.

most of mine were just bought in the last 3 months, and hadnt been bred in quite a while, so they were hard starters. But the ones that have been bred recently were easy breeders.

(I'm not talking about 12 kindles a year, I'm talking 3 or 4.)

I have a bunch of babies outside right now (for meat), and I'm thinking of bringing one in, letting the kids make a pet out of it, and letting my daughter show it in the little kids 4-H show.

Rabbits will breed year round as long as the kits aren't cold they are fine. My rabbitry was unheated and frankly had a bit of a draft running through it. A nice solid wood nestbox and a heat lamp above it and the kits did just fine. Make sure if you use a heat lamp to be extra cautious (not to close, not near hay, general common sense). If it is over 55-60 degrees then you shouldn't need a heat lamp as long as it is draft free. I raise french angoras now, great wool production and the unwanted woolers make great fryers.

Obviously I am assuming you are in search of just a meat animal and I would suggest the Florida Whites or New Zealand, perhaps a cross of the two. Floridas are a bit smaller, but fast growing with a leaner meat on them. Very docile buggers and are easy to dress. I would join ARBA (http://www.arba.net/) they are a wealth of information and you can't beat the deal. Probably $20.00 per year, you get a guidebook, and a magazine every other month. They really are great and helpful.

Quote:
Thanks for the info.. I had thought of doing a dual purpose Fiber/Meat rabbit.. But decdied i am stretching myself kinda thin as it is... I used to belong to the ARBA when I was in 4-h.. I'll have to get signed back up...

Back
Top Bottom