Best method to put weight on a bird.

I have three hens (austrolop) that need to go to freezer camp. They are currently broody so have lost some weight and I think I need to put some more meat on them before culling.

What would be the best method to get them back to their pre-broody weight?

Background info.
All the chickens free-range and are also supplemented with layer mash and all flock (18%). The broodies are currently being given extra snacks (eggs, feed and veggies).

Any suggestions on improving this? Expected time frame to fatten them up?

Thanks!

I have three hens (austrolop) that need to go to freezer camp. They are currently broody so have lost some weight and I think I need to put some more meat on them before culling.

What would be the best method to get them back to their pre-broody weight?

Background info.
All the chickens free-range and are also supplemented with layer mash and all flock (18%). The broodies are currently being given extra snacks (eggs, feed and veggies).

Any suggestions on improving this? Expected time frame to fatten them up?

Thanks!
Broodies loose body fat and muscle tone. People have said that they wish they had waited a couple months after they were broody to harvest.
Around here sometimes people pay more for a hen that's known to go broody so they can raise chicks .

Assuming they are older than 8 or 9 months, then going heavy on the scratch corn daily for 4-8 weeks ought to beef them up a bit. But you can only expect so much weight gain to be realized from a bird that has already reached adult weight. They will put on fat, but not all that much muscle.

Part of the lost weight is because they re-absorb egg yolks, and the reproductive organs shrink. That weight won't matter, unless you intend to eat those parts.

If they lost any muscle, breaking their broodiness and providing normal chicken feed should be all it takes.

If you want them to gain actual fat, scratch or any other easy source of calories can work, but you will probably still have to break their broodiness before they will eat enough to make a difference.

Personally, I would just butcher them without trying to fatten them up. I don't think they would regain enough weight to make up for the cost of the food they eat during that time.

Part of the lost weight is because they re-absorb egg yolks, and the reproductive organs shrink. That weight won't matter, unless you intend to eat those parts.

If they lost any muscle, breaking their broodiness and providing normal chicken feed should be all it takes.

If you want them to gain actual fat, scratch or any other easy source of calories can work, but you will probably still have to break their broodiness before they will eat enough to make a difference.

Personally, I would just butcher them without trying to fatten them up. I don't think they would regain enough weight to make up for the cost of the food they eat during that time.
Thats good advice. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom