Best methods for attaching wheels to a chicken tractor

May 29, 2019
Hi, all. I'm going to build a chicken tractor in the near future. Probably a rickshaw looking thing with an elevated coop + a run that goes in front of and underneath the coop (something with a similar shape to this, probably: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/sadie-lane-brooder-tractor.65749/) Here's my question (and I hope this makes sense): how do I attach wheels to the back of the tractor in such a way that the run frame lies flat on the ground when the tractor is sitting still? Like, I don't want there to be a gap between the run frame and the ground, but I also want to be able to lift the tractor from the front and move it as needed. Hope that makes sense. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Makes perfect sense. There are many ways to set up the wheels. Google “chicken tractor wheel plans” to get started. I used two pendulum type wheels on the back and put a boat trailer wheel on the front. The wider and bigger your wheels, the easier it will be to roll the tractor around. The most important thing is to design the tractor as light as you possibly can while still making it secure for your birds. Here’s my tractor showing the wheel set up. I lift the bars and hook them in place. Then I raise the hitch wheel. Then I just role it where I want. The single hitch wheel rotates so I can turn corners.
07621A89-F0AA-4DEC-8BFD-7F117CF3527C.jpeg

Makes perfect sense. There are many ways to set up the wheels. Google “chicken tractor wheel plans” to get started. I used two pendulum type wheels on the back and put a boat trailer wheel on the front. The wider and bigger your wheels, the easier it will be to roll the tractor around. The most important thing is to design the tractor as light as you possibly can while still making it secure for your birds. Here’s my tractor showing the wheel set up. I lift the bars and hook them in place. Then I raise the hitch wheel. Then I just role it where I want. The single hitch wheel rotates so I can turn corners.
View attachment 1882160

Awesome set-up. Thank you for the tips!

Back
Top Bottom