Best mites/lice prevention habits for new coop/run

So would adding material for them to dig through not increase the chances of bad types of bugs?
Not in my opinion. This is my run:
Flock in run.jpg

If you don’t use DE what do you use to make up your coop bedding?
My coop is bedded down with either large flake pine shavings and/or hemp bedding. I clean the coop once a year but this year, I think I'll clean it again before winter settles in to try to control the dust build up.
you don’t do anything except keep it natural really and you haven’t had an issue?
I keep things as natural as possible, yes, but I do inspect the birds regularly for any issues. They get wormed as needed, nails and spurs trimmed and butt baths as required.
What would be the cause of people getting the infestations then?
Too many birds in too small a space without lots and lots of fresh air and sunshine. Sunshine (UV light) is natures true miracle cure. It will kill lots of nasties including killing parasite eggs. Also keeping the environment as dry as possible helps.
How do you clean up your run or do you just let it be?
I don't clean my run. I just add more wood chips as needed. Usually once a year in the fall. I will occasionally rake the wood chips in the run to mix the poop in and get it in contact with the microbes in the soil that break it down. They take most of their dust baths in the run:
Dust bathing in run.png

I do release my birds into a very large penned in area.
group sunbathing.jpg

Too many birds in too small a space without lots and lots of fresh air and sunshine. Sunshine (UV light) is natures true miracle cure. It will kill lots of nasties including killing parasite eggs. Also keeping the environment as dry as possible helps.

:goodpost:

Following these forums for over a decade and listening to the experts, I have learned that the majority of problems people ask advice about can be traced back to over-crowding as, if not a direct cause, at least a contributing factor.

The parasites are brought in by animals. Animals get attracted by organic debries, things like food scraps, feed and poop, left over treats, etc. Mice are always around when you have chickens, so it's important to do your best to keep them out.
I don't have a problem with deep litter, however I live in a very hot and humid area so it does not work for me. It mainly works in cold and dry environments.

I don't have a problem with deep litter, however I live in a very hot and humid area so it does not work for me. It mainly works in cold and dry environments.

This is not true.

It may need to be managed differently in different climates, but both the dry Deep Bedding in the small coops and the moist Deep Litter in the open air coop and the run work just fine for me here in the Steamy Southeast where summer often has 95-95 weather -- 95F with 95% humidity. :)

This is not true.

It may need to be managed differently in different climates, but both the dry Deep Bedding in the small coops and the moist Deep Litter in the open air coop and the run work just fine for me here in the Steamy Southeast where summer often has 95-95 weather -- 95F with 95% humidity. :)
My problem is ants, millions of them. I tried deep litter before but it just got to the point that ants took over every single inch. Maybe it's just in the area I live. We get 105F in the summer and about 80-95% humidity

My problem is ants, millions of them. I tried deep litter before but it just got to the point that ants took over every single inch. Maybe it's just in the area I live. We get 105F in the summer and about 80-95% humidity

They were probably coming for the water.

I've found that in hot, dry weather I'll get ants anywhere that I have a leaky bit of hose and around the heat pump's condensation drain.

The lice were brought in by wild birds.
x2. Top culprits in spreading parasites are wild birds flying through/over the run, maybe rodents (if they're getting in) or infested bedding (i.e. you buy straw from a farm that has an existing parasite issue).

If I put a bunch of material in there how am I to clean it out? Just keep adding material and then raking it out every week? How do you “clean “your run and how often?
A true deep litter run, you don't really have to clean it out. My "clean outs" would be something like removing buckets of composted material for use in my garden. Nor is there a weekly add in or raking taking place. I rake maybe twice a year, mostly to smooth out the floor as the chickens dig divots everywhere and it get difficult to walk safely!

Top culprits in spreading parasites are wild birds flying through/over the run, maybe rodents (if they're getting in) or infested bedding (i.e. you buy straw from a farm that has an existing parasite issue).
Ditto Dat!
Straw/hay that has been stored where it wild birds can gather.
I always buy my straw right after harvest, so it hasn't been stored anywhere for any length of time.

Clean coops and clean runs is the best way to prevent external parasites. In my 10 years of keeping chickens, I've had lice twice and the infestation wasn't bad in both cases. The lice were brought in by wild birds. If you let your flock out, it's important to keep an eye on them all the time and catch the problem at the beginning to treat right away.
I clean coops and runs everyday. I'm using PDZ in the roosting boxes and always check for sings of parasites. My runs have dirt and sand. The poop gets sifted everyday too.
Clean coops and clean runs is the best way to prevent external parasites. In my 10 years of keeping chickens, I've had lice twice and the infestation wasn't bad in both cases. The lice were brought in by wild birds. If you let your flock out, it's important to keep an eye on them all the time and catch the problem at the beginning to treat right away.
I clean coops and runs everyday. I'm using PDZ in the roosting boxes and always check for sings of parasites. My runs have dirt and sand. The poop gets sifted everyday too.
Your post interested me. I too clean out my coop and run every day. I use straw and pine chips for the flooring bedding. I also use PDZ . I am hoping that keeping the area clean is enough to prevent lice and/or mites. A question I have though is what kind of sand do you use? I read so many conflicting opinions, i.e. "yes to play sand", "no to play sand". I use play sand in their dust bath and they love it.

Back
Top Bottom