Best nutritional and economic all flock feed?

Aug 18, 2022
Massachusetts
I am currently using Purina dumor chick starter feed. I have seven week old pullets and 21 week old pullets. I am looking for suggestions for a good quality food that doesn’t break the bank. This could be the chick starter or an all flock variety. I am also looking at something that I can purchase from a co-op, tractor supply, easy to get store?

You're fine to feed them chick starter or "all flock" for life . Try to use the proteins of 18-20% . See what your co-op has and TSC has an all flock at 20% Dumor. Mine did better on all flock than they did on layer feed. Once laying offer oyster shell free choice
I mix oyster shell in with the Dumor Layer feed. I've heard that 16% protein (like in the Dumor Layer feed) is best for egg production, while 20% is better for meat birds or while they are growing to adulthood. Anyone know if that's right?

Pick a feed that is 18-20% protein and offer grit and oyster shell (and/or crushed egg shells) on the side. The birds that need the extra calcium will eat it, and the others will leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom