Best online website to buy Geese/Ducks/Chickens

_-Captain BRM-_

Post Tenebras Lux
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2021
Has anyone every bought chicks, ducklings, or geese online? If so what website was it? I have researched and looked into many but I am only wanting 2 geese, 3 or 4 ducks, and 3 bantams if possible. A lot of websites have a minimum of birds and sometimes that can be way to many than I need. Thank you so much!

:welcome

Shipping will be more expensive for smaller orders, but one option you could look into is mypetchicken.com. They specialize in small orders. I ordered from them this year because I could mix and match among their standard size breeds (I got 15 birds). I can't speak yet to the quality of the birds, but I've been very pleased with their customer service, and the chicken supply order I received from them was well-priced, came quickly, and was well-packed.

Shipping will be more expensive for smaller orders, but one option you could look into is mypetchicken.com. They specialize in small orders. I ordered from them this year because I could mix and match among their standard size breeds (I got 15 birds). I can't speak yet to the quality of the birds, but I've been very pleased with their customer service, and the chicken supply order I received from them was well-priced, came quickly, and was well-packed.
Thank you very much! I will definitely look into this.

If you live in an area where you can re-sell surplus birds, it might be more cost-effective to buy the extra birds and then sell them. You would also have more flexibility then in where you get your birds from. Lots of people want birds these days, so I wouldn't expect you to have trouble finding homes.

ETA: This is what I do every time I get new chicks, since I nearly always have to buy more than I can keep. So far I haven't had trouble with finding homes, and I sell my adult birds most years, too.

Thank you very much! I will definitely look into this.

Thanks again for this. I just looked into it and I am gonna save a LOT of money!!

If you live in an area where you can re-sell surplus birds, it might be more cost-effective to buy the extra birds and then sell them. You would also have more flexibility then in where you get your birds from. Lots of people want birds these days, so I wouldn't expect you to have trouble finding homes.

ETA: This is what I do every time I get new chicks, since I nearly always have to buy more than I can keep. So far I haven't had trouble with finding homes, and I sell my adult birds most years, too.
I agree with this. Plus, then it helps the person who buys from you, so they don’t have to place a large order. Now, if only you could find someone who did this and has extra to sell!

2X mypetchicken.com

I got 4 of my chickens from them last fall and all arrived healthy. I would 100% use them again. Keep in mind the minimums are in place for the safety of the birds. There is a hot thread going elsewhere on the site about delays with USPS shipments so I would check that out first.

I'm not in a position to get chicks for a long time 😢 but the potential hiccups in their travel right now through the postal system would make me so nervous. Covid sucks.

I've seen an ad around BYC for Valley Hatchery, too, which touts low minimums for orders. I have no experience with that hatchery but maybe it's another option to look into.

@icy_flames is right to point out that one significant reason the order minimums are in place is for the safety of the birds--more birds in a box equals more stability of temperature for their travel between us and the hatchery. Day-old chicks can't regulate their own body temperature yet, and 25 chicks snuggled up together in a box will have an easier time staying warm than just three. (This is also why bantams often have higher minimums, since their body mass is smaller.)

Back
Top Bottom