You can check out Maximilian Pionus( I think that's how you spell it be lol), I raised a clutch of them once and they are very quiet birds. People say they're the perfect apartment bird because they are so quiet. Any of the Pionus breeds are quiet. Or a Senegal, they're not too loud and full of personality. If you don't want loud then don't get a sun conure. They're beautiful but very loud lol.

I have owned all kinds of parrots and they'll have moments of screaming...all of them. Start off with hand fed budgies. But please know that all birds are moody, beautiful and loud. When you get a parrot of any kind what it desires, it's mood swings and how loud it gets it's all part of who they are. If you can't deal with the noise and the mess and getting bitten when you want to "cuddle",and at the same time he doesn't want to be bothered with you, don't get a parrot.

I have owned all kinds of parrots and they'll have moments of screaming...all of them. Start off with hand fed budgies. But please know that all birds are moody, beautiful and loud. When you get a parrot of any kind what it desires, it's mood swings and how loud it gets it's all part of who they are. If you can't deal with the noise and the mess and getting bitten when you want to "cuddle",and at the same time he doesn't want to be bothered with you, don't get a parrot.

I know what it takes to own a parrot, I was just curious which ones were quieter because Amazon's and macaws are pretty bloody loud and I couldn't handle that. However, one that is slightly more hushed I would be able to care for

You can check out Maximilian Pionus( I think that's how you spell it be lol), I raised a clutch of them once and they are very quiet birds. People say they're the perfect apartment bird because they are so quiet. Any of the Pionus breeds are quiet. Or a Senegal, they're not too loud and full of personality. If you don't want loud then don't get a sun conure. They're beautiful but very loud lol.

I second a Maxie Parrot! They are used to being okay left on their own while you are gone, and while they don't cuddle they enjoy being with you and are considered quiet birds to own.

In my experience you won't find a pet bird to exactly match that list, but if you choose the Most Important in it you will find one.

i have two caique, the one's in my photo, great birds love interaction will sit on your shoulders and love to play, they are the clowns of the parrot world. they are happier with a friend that's why i got two. i have an outdoor play area for them and they fly around the house. these bird are loud when they want something. but they are a long term commitment as they live 30 years plus. think very hard before you buy a parrot, they will need lots of toys a big cage and lots of your time.

Late reply but have you ever heard of the Bourke's Parakeet? Around $75 to $500 for these.
Bourkes-Parakeet-Bird.jpg

A rosella can be a good bird too if you're looking for small parrots. Golden mantled/Eastern Rosella goes from $100 to $600. There is also the grass parakeet, which looks very cool, similar price range as well. If you live in Australia they tend to cost less.
720px-Scarlet_Chested_Parakeet.jpg

Anyways those are some small parrots that aren't well known. They do cost a lot tho.

Also a late reply, but as someone that has owned, worked with, and rescued parrots of all sizes my whole life, I must say that my friendly chicken breeds are by far the best pets out of all of them. Parrots are like a companion, or a toddler, and are not domesticated the way chickens are. My friendly chickens are very social, cuddly, and not noisy. With a diaper or careful control they can visit me inside too, and will sit happy next to me or in my lap. They don't have the often severe psychological issues that parrots have (parrots being very social and intelligent, have complex psyches). For example, many parrots misunderstand petting as a sexual interaction, especially if you pet them anywhere other than their heads, and it can lead to some severe problematic behaviors, hormone issues, chronic laying (in females, which can be life threatening), and more... whereas with a chicken you can pet all day long and things will be fine.

Also, as an aside, for those that say that pionus are quiet... some may be, but both of mine can out-scream a sun conure easily! Parrots naturally use loud flock-calling (screaming) no matter what the species, though you are correct that budgies flock call is far less intense than their larger cousins.

Back
Top Bottom