Best Pheasant breed for free rangeing

amyschickens1

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2015
Scotland
We live in a 3 maybe 4 acrea grounds and run a guest house we already have
5 pekin bantams hens, 1 pekin bantam cock, 2 white star hens, 2 goldline hens, 3 ISA brown hens, 5 quails, 4 canaries, 3 zebra finches, 4 Bengalese finches, 2 diamond doves, 2 silkie bantam 16 week old chicks, 2 pekin bantam hen chicks 13 weeks old , 2 pekin bantam cock chicks 13 weeks and 14 weeks, 1 rabbit, 2 blue parrotlets, 2 dogs and 3 hamsters.

But we were thinking about having some pheasants free range
we would have a house for them, with an automatic door.

which breed is best for us
about a acrea or half an acrea is woodland

I think any pheasant you release will not return to a coop. If you release them, the chance is high you will never see them again. Stick to fowl that have better reputations for this -- chickens, ducks, geese, guineas, turkeys, etc.

but wont it get hungry so it will return for its food like our wild pheasants do
they come running into our garden every day to eat
and I heardly see them in the farmers feild

Your best and probably only chance would be Silver Pheasants. And even those would have to be very accustomed to their home. Silvers are not as flighty as the other breeds but it would be a gambel and the first time they got spooked they would be gone.

we are going to get golden pheasants or Reeves pheasants and keep them in a pen.
How do you look after Golden Pheasants?

How do you look after Reeves Pheasants?

We live in a 3 maybe 4 acrea grounds and run a guest house we already have
 5 pekin bantams hens, 1 pekin bantam cock, 2 white star hens, 2 goldline hens, 3 ISA brown hens, 5 quails, 4 canaries, 3 zebra finches, 4 Bengalese finches, 2 diamond doves, 2 silkie bantam 16 week old chicks, 2 pekin bantam hen chicks 13 weeks old  , 2 pekin bantam cock chicks 13 weeks and 14 weeks, 1 rabbit, 2 blue parrotlets, 2 dogs and 3 hamsters.

But we were thinking about having some pheasants free range
we would have a house for them, with an automatic door.

which breed is best for us
about a acrea or half an acrea is woodland
I've seen goldens "free ranging" on estates in the UK, they were pinioned, and no predators present. How they tamed them I do not know. I wouldn't recommend pinioning any bird that was free ranging. I've spent lots of time with my birds, they don't go berserk when im in the pen and eat from my hand but there's no way, if i let them out they would return. I've had a few that escaped, my neglect on not closing a door fully, a couple of times they hung around till i recaptured them but most flew off and never seen again. It is cool to see them walking around a place but unless you have no predators and abundant time to thoroughly tame them, it's nothing short of an enigma. If you try....wish you all the luck.

Amy, I've seen some pretty tame Golden's IE eat from your hand etc but Reeves are aggressive heck cock's will even go after people and would likely run everything else off , that is if they stayed around themselves .

Its not just the fact that these birds can be reasonably tamed, it has more to do with their natural instinct to avoid danger. No matter how tame any pheasant may seem if frightened it is only natural for all of them to get as far away from whatever or whoever spooked them and to do it as fast as possible. No matter how many hands they eat from once frightened a free range bird you will never see again.

Back
Top Bottom