1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best Pie crust recipes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bulldog-girl, Nov 12, 2008.

1. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    I have never been able to make a tender homemade pie crust. I try all the hints like don't overwork the dough and chill it etc. I have heard that lard makes the best crust. Anyone want to share their secrets? I usually just buy the ready made Marie Calender crust wich is really good actually but would love to master the homemade crust. [​IMG]

2. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    This is the one I use from a friend's mother. It is easy and I get many compliments. Enjoy. Lill

5 cups all purpose flour

1 pound/2 cups shortening or unsalted butter

1 egg

1 T white vinegar

2 T sugar

pinch salt

water

Cut together flour and shortening. I found it best to add the shortening in at least 2 batches.

Beat together the egg, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a measuring cup. Add enough water to bring it up to 1 cup. Stir. Add to flour and shortening. Knead for a minute or two.

Makes enough dough for 3 pies (top & bottom). You can freeze any you do not use.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You really want to spend all that time with cold hands?

Ritz deep dish shells. [​IMG]

4. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Miss Prissy, the queen of all things good uses store made pie crusts??? I am glad I was sittin' down when I read that!

2 cups flour
    2/3 cup butter flavor Crisco
    1/2 to 3/4 cup water

Enough for 2 crusts.

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I often do use them. They are easy, quick and convenient. I have way too much going on to stand around rolling out pie crusts. [​IMG]

If you find a nice family style bakery they will often sell you pie shells.

If I didn't tend my own flocks I would make more homemade crusts.

6. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    I am so glad someone else asked the question of pie crusts. I have only found one recipe for crust, from an 1939 cookbook. Tried it, yucky! guess they didn't have tastebuds back then lol

My better homes and gardens cookbook has all these great recipes, but most start with the words store bought such and such. Guess I really need to go cookbook shopping more often. And be pickier on what they contain.

7. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    You really want to spend all that time with cold hands?

Ritz deep dish shells

TOTALLY! [​IMG]

I've made peach pies using frozen cling-free peaches and frozen pie shells, and the people to whom I give them always call and say 'that was the best pie I've ever tasted!'

One thing I do differently is put some small bits of butter in the bottom of the pan before I pour the fruit mixture in.​

8. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    Thanks so much for all your recipes and input. I know they are time consuming but wanted to know if I was missing something.

[​IMG]

9. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    Chicken Boo's recipe is very similar to the one I've used for the past 40 years. Always flakey and very good. The key to me is to use half Crisco/half unsalted butter. The recipe was passed on to me by a friend's mother who was locally famous for her wonderful pies. "Just make a couple batches some morning and put in the freezer. Then they're ready when you want them." (That was her advice to me.)

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    For those of you who dispatch your own chickens - if you render the fat (schmaltz) you can make incredible savory pie crusts for meat pies and the like - dumples etc. I do make homemade crust for that. Sweet pastry - not so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by