Delicious Yeast Rolls/Bread Recipe

chixluv

Songster
Jan 23, 2023
Hi All,

I love to make bread and am sharing a tasty Yeast Roll recipe below. However, instead of making all rolls, I usually separate the dough in half after the completion of the first rise and place it into a loaf pan to make a loaf of bread, and shape the remaining half of the dough into rolls and about four hamburger buns. The bread, rolls, and buns I created are then allowed to complete the second rise before going into the oven. This being said, don't think that you have to make all rolls because that is what the recipe states. Feel free to create the type/shape of bread that best suits your needs at the time. I added notes for the variations mentioned. Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
  • 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°) Make sure the water is not too hot, you don't want to kill the yeast.
  • 1/2 cup sugar (feel free to add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter bread)
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup vegetable or sunflower oil
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
  1. In a mixing bowl, add the yeast, pour the warm water over it and add the sugar. Cover for 10 minutes. The yeast mixture should appear bubbly/foamy which lets you know it is alive and well.
  2. To the yeast mixture add the egg, oil, salt, and 4 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Once smooth, stir in 2 cups of flour to form a stiff dough. If it is still too sticky gradually begin adding the remaining 1/2 cup of flour. I find that 6 cups makes the dough stiff enough.
  3. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
  4. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 4 portions. Divide and shape each portion into 12 balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Note: This is where I separate the dough in half and make one half into a bread loaf and the other half into buns and rolls. A 30 minute second rise is fine for the rolls and buns. However, a bread loaf needs to rise until it has risen to a point that is level with the top of the loaf pan. This may take anywhere from an hour to two hours, depending on how warm the room is that it is rising in.
  5. Bake rolls/buns 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Note: A bread loaf will need to bake for 40 minutes. Once you have removed it from the oven, wrap it in a damp towel for about 45 minutes to soften the crust.

Hi All,

I love to make bread and am sharing a tasty Yeast Roll recipe below. However, instead of making all rolls, I usually separate the dough in half after the completion of the first rise and place it into a loaf pan to make a loaf of bread, and shape the remaining half of the dough into rolls and about four hamburger buns. The bread, rolls, and buns I created are then allowed to complete the second rise before going into the oven. This being said, don't think that you have to make all rolls because that is what the recipe states. Feel free to create the type/shape of bread that best suits your needs at the time. I added notes for the variations mentioned. Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
  • 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°) Make sure the water is not too hot, you don't want to kill the yeast.
  • 1/2 cup sugar (feel free to add more sugar if you prefer a sweeter bread)
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup vegetable or sunflower oil
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
  1. In a mixing bowl, add the yeast, pour the warm water over it and add the sugar. Cover for 10 minutes. The yeast mixture should appear bubbly/foamy which lets you know it is alive and well.
  2. To the yeast mixture add the egg, oil, salt, and 4 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Once smooth, stir in 2 cups of flour to form a stiff dough. If it is still too sticky gradually begin adding the remaining 1/2 cup of flour. I find that 6 cups makes the dough stiff enough.
  3. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
  4. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 4 portions. Divide and shape each portion into 12 balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Note: This is where I separate the dough in half and make one half into a bread loaf and the other half into buns and rolls. A 30 minute second rise is fine for the rolls and buns. However, a bread loaf needs to rise until it has risen to a point that is level with the top of the loaf pan. This may take anywhere from an hour to two hours, depending on how warm the room is that it is rising in.
  5. Bake rolls/buns 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Note: A bread loaf will need to bake for 40 minutes. Once you have removed it from the oven, wrap it in a damp towel for about 45 minutes to soften the crust.
Thank you my.crew loves yeast rolls

Back
Top Bottom