Best place for roosts and nests

ChxLadyCass

Songster
6 Years
Mar 2, 2017
La Junta, CO
Hey again friends! My new young hens will be here Monday and today's the last above freezing temps day for me to quickly renovate this dog house into a coop!! I will be moving it and taking the insulation off the vents, but my question is about where to place these roosts and put some nests??
The coop is 4x8, so I found 2, 4' 2x4s of recycled wood for the roosts and will use a couple buckets for nests, as this may be a temporary setup! Where would you place roosts and nest boxes? I have the 2x4s just resting against the walks as an example!
In my other coops, I have the nests facing the entryway, and I wonder if that is private enough? I wonder if they'd prefer the privacy of being against the West wall? Does it matter if the roosts are directly above the nests? I don't mind bending down to get eggs, I have little guys to help!
Photos are taken from the full sized doorway. Chicken door is on the NE corner.
TYIA
77D8F047-C6EB-42B0-BD44-2A3503212523.jpeg
2DB00C04-34BF-41EF-927E-8A0BE4356256.jpeg

Attachments

• 3585C511-4DA8-4E07-941E-53112069BB86.jpeg
    3585C511-4DA8-4E07-941E-53112069BB86.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
my roost and nest box is 4'x6'. Its inside/part of my armored run.
so the tin roost box you see is 4x6 with the nest box on the outside.

Attachments

• SSPX1004.JPG
    SSPX1004.JPG
    478.2 KB · Views: 14
  • SSPX1008.JPG
    SSPX1008.JPG
    424.4 KB · Views: 12
  • SSPX1044.JPG
    SSPX1044.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0725.JPG
    IMG_0725.JPG
    526.1 KB · Views: 20
Mainly make it convenient to you. The chickens will adjust.

I'd put the roosts on your west wall opposite the people door. That way they are not blocking your access.

My main roosts are over my built in brooder. The top of that brooder is a droppings board. I have a juvenile roost over my nests, they use that when I'm integrating juveniles. The top of the nests are used as droppings boards. I don't have a problem with roosts over the nests as long as they cannot poop in the nests. I'd also be OK with the nests on either side wall. Don't worry about their privacy when laying. With the human door closed that would be a non-issue if it were important, which I do not think it is.

Mainly make it convenient to you. The chickens will adjust.

I'd put the roosts on your west wall opposite the people door. That way they are not blocking your access.

My main roosts are over my built in brooder. The top of that brooder is a droppings board. I have a juvenile roost over my nests, they use that when I'm integrating juveniles. The top of the nests are used as droppings boards. I don't have a problem with roosts over the nests as long as they cannot poop in the nests. I'd also be OK with the nests on either side wall. Don't worry about their privacy when laying. With the human door closed that would be a non-issue if it were important, which I do not think it is.
I went and looked at your brooder box! That's really cool! I am going to have to consider that in my future plans to remodel my other coops this Spring!

Back
Top Bottom