Best place to put brooder??

The_Flock

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hi peeps. I'm getting 12 day old chicks today and wondered where to put them. I have 2 options. I can put them in the spare bedroom. But...I'm not using lighting, I'm letting the sun do it's job with open windows, and that bedroom is not very bright.
The second option is in my office. This would normally be my first choice because it's the brightest and the closest to me while I'm in the house. But I'm doing a weeklong video conference in there and it's based in PDT, I'm in EST, so the time difference is 3 or 4 hrs later (I don't remember lol). Some of them end at 7:30 (10:30 or 11:30pm EST) and some end later. I'm guessing that would really cut into their rest time.
I guess I have a third option where I could put them in the spare bedroom for the week of the conference and then bring them to the office after that's done.
So my question is...is it ok to move the brooder? Will it shock them or anything? And do you guys have any info on whatever else I've said in this thread?
I thank you for all your help. Have a great day. 😊

Hi peeps. I'm getting 12 day old chicks today and wondered where to put them. I have 2 options. I can put them in the spare bedroom. But...I'm not using lighting, I'm letting the sun do it's job with open windows, and that bedroom is not very bright.
The second option is in my office. This would normally be my first choice because it's the brightest and the closest to me while I'm in the house. But I'm doing a weeklong video conference in there and it's based in PDT, I'm in EST, so the time difference is 3 or 4 hrs later (I don't remember lol). Some of them end at 7:30 (10:30 or 11:30pm EST) and some end later. I'm guessing that would really cut into their rest time.
I guess I have a third option where I could put them in the spare bedroom for the week of the conference and then bring them to the office after that's done.
So my question is...is it ok to move the brooder? Will it shock them or anything? And do you guys have any info on whatever else I've said in this thread?
I thank you for all your help. Have a great day. 😊
I think the office is a good idea, you can always use headphones :)

If they have a heat lamp, they have light during the night anyway. Because they're babies, they will nap in the day and also sleep during the night, so they should get enough sleep no matter how you do it.

If you put them in the spare bedroom, consider adding a lamp for more light--you could even plug it in to a timer, so it goes on in the morning and off at night.

Moving the brooder should be fine. They'll be a bit upset, but they will get over it quickly. Most of what they see is the inside of the brooder (cardboard box, plastic bin, or whatever.) So having it in a different room will not affect them much.

I'd keep them in the office, too. A few hours of light isn't going to hurt them at all. Depending on your setup, you can always cover them for a short time to keep it dark for them.

I would do the office and use headphones they will not do well in the dark

Thank you so much for helping me out. 😊 The spare room isn't dark...it's just not as bright as the office. The spare room is facing the east (so is the office) but has an entryway blocking the south sun coming in. So bright enough to def know it's daytime but not much vitamin D actually reaching them.
I prefer the office too. But I'm so worried the light I'll need to have on during the conference (and possibly late at night) will affect them.

Thank you so much for helping me out. 😊 The spare room isn't dark...it's just not as bright as the office. The spare room is facing the east (so is the office) but has an entryway blocking the south sun coming in. So bright enough to def know it's daytime but not much vitamin D actually reaching them.
I prefer the office too. But I'm so worried the light I'll need to have on during the conference (and possibly late at night) will affect them.
It won't affect them I promise. I don't use supplemental light, either (I use a hearing pad). My brooder is kept in my livingroom. We don't shut off our lights right at sundown, but the birds will go to bed once you do turn off the lights.

They'll be fine either place you put them. I suggested the office because YOU will be more at ease, I think. You sound like a fellow worrier! Welcome to the club!

Back
Top Bottom