Best priced Cornish chicks

I get mine from Welp - they're not as cheap as TSC and you have to get them through the mail, but I've gotten super healthy chicks, and excellent growth. Do you raise CX here in the summer? I've been worried about how they'll handle the heat. I'm in North Alabama. I did 25 from Jan to March this year.

I used to order Cornish cross from tractor supply (who get them from Hoover's Hatchery). They have a good price. Not sure how many hatcheries will beat their price.

But I now get my CX from Mt. Healthy Hatcheries. I do pay more and get all males for more meat when it comes time to butcher. From the 3 or 4 hatcheries I ordered meat birds, the ones I get from Mt Healthy Hatcheries appear to be healthier and survive the course of raising them to be butchered.

Last year average weight after butchering was about 4.7 pounds. This year was about 5.3 pounds.

My CX from Welp were so large at 9 weeks I could barely lift them one handed. Handling them one-handed is part of my processing regime, so this was a real challenge for me. Welp sells straight run for USD $2.15, shipping included for 25 chicks. 21 made it to butcher day, would've been 22 but one death was my fault.

I get mine from Welp - they're not as cheap as TSC and you have to get them through the mail, but I've gotten super healthy chicks, and excellent growth. Do you raise CX here in the summer? I've been worried about how they'll handle the heat. I'm in North Alabama. I did 25 from Jan to March this year.
I looked at welp I’ve only raised them once I got 25 last September from Meyer, that’s usually who I order any birds through I’ve never had an issue with them so far. I haven’t raised any during the summer but I think I’m gonna get these coming early next month. My movable coops are all tarped and I can add a fan if I need to. I’m in south Alabama my only real worry is a hurricane blowin in and my yard flooding trying to get these things grown.

I looked at welp I’ve only raised them once I got 25 last September from Meyer, that’s usually who I order any birds through I’ve never had an issue with them so far. I haven’t raised any during the summer but I think I’m gonna get these coming early next month. My movable coops are all tarped and I can add a fan if I need to. I’m in south Alabama my only real worry is a hurricane blowin in and my yard flooding trying to get these things grown.
Let us know how they work out for you. I've been avoiding CX during the summer heat, but maybe I over-worry, and they'd do fine? My eggers obviously have trouble in the hottest part of the year, even in a mostly shaded well ventilated coop. Would love to hear how it goes for you.

I raise mine in a stationary 150 sq ft covered run.

crossing my fingers we avoid hurricanes this year!

Not working out good from the start. Picked up my 80 bird order today and 50 were dead. Called Hoovers they said they’ll refund the 50 but that’s a pretty big hit right at the start.
Sorry to hear that! This heat wave is intense. Shipping in the heat wave is worse than shipping in normal weather, I'd expect. I was going to order some eggers mid-July, but cancelled my order, partially due to the heat chicks would see during shipment.

Might see if you could buy them through TSC or another feed store. More might live through shipment that way, maybe?

Back
Top Bottom