Best resources/books to learn about chicken breeding?

ChestnutRidge

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Western Virginia
I am planning to begin a homestead next spring. I'm excited and find it hard to wait. I've grown fruit and vegetables, but when we move, I plan to have chickens for the first time. I am researching breeds, flock management designs, feeding plans, etc. I would like our venture to be as sustainable as possible to protect against future economic pressures, provide enough eggs and meat to sustain a small extended family group, and perhaps provide extra eating eggs, hatching eggs, and birds to sell for supplemental income.

While pouring over forums, books, websites, and catalogs, I have identified several breeds whose characteristics appeal to me. In the future, I would like to have several small breeding flocks that I am able to continuously improve and maintain genetic diversity. To do this, I am going to need a lot more book knowledge (not to mention experiential knowledge, which is priceless) than I have now.

Please recommend books, websites, and other resources that provide information regarding chicken breeding and genetics. I am looking for sources that are detailed and written for experts. I can look up any terms or foundational information that I am lacking.

Thank you for your help and sharing your expertise!

feathersite.com!
droolin.gif
it is the best web about chicken

Back
Top Bottom