Best rodent proof storage?? Need suggestions

Mouthwash

Chirping
May 20, 2023
Chicago IL
I've been keeping my feed in a large storage bin with a snap on lid. Think of like what people store Christmas decor in, etc. I never had a problem but today I opened it and smelled something sour and just beneath the surface was a dead mouse. I have no idea how it was able to squeeze in but I guess it did, unless it hopped in last time I had it open. Any better suggestions???

I use 55 gallon drums with screw on lids, like this: https://www.bayteccontainers.com/55galfdareop.html. This is what most of my rural Midwest neighbors use. They are thicker plastic than the totes and hold 300 lbs of feed (6 bags of 50 lb feed). You can find them on FB Marketplace or Craigslist for $25-50 each. The ones I have were originally used to import olives, so they are food safe but needed a light cleaning. You might also need a ladle or saucepan with a longish handle to reach the last 20-30 lbs of feed when the drum gets empty.

I use 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids. It takes two to hold a 50 lb bag of feed.

If I had more chickens, I would use a 55 gallon steel barrel. They are sold near here for $3 as burn barrels, even though they are food grade. The latest ones I got had strawberry syrup still in them. We have to drill the vent holes when we use them as burn barrels. They come with steel lids that clamp on.

Some people use non-working freezers.

Mice can squeeze in between the lid and bin of some of the totes like you describe; other types, they can't. Either way, they will chew though the sides of the bins.

Back
Top Bottom