Best rooster breed that will defend flock

Eric R

Songster
6 Years
Jul 12, 2017
Magnolia, TX
Ok I know people have asked for rooster breeds to defend flocks but then some people say the rooster will die defending the flock. Then some people suggest gamefowl but gamefowl are not cheap. My question is more of a poll. Which rooster breed is most consistently known for defending their flocks, not just running away and warning and won't break the bank to buy? I know they may die and I know they may be people aggressive. Please no responses that don't answer the initial question. I've read all the disclaimers. Just straight forward to the point responses please.

Game birds can be very aggressive so they’re pretty good. Saying that have a barred rock that gets really aggressive when I go near his hens. Roosters are all aggressive as long as you raise them to be a fighter.
I have a game rooster and it was trying to find a way out of the chicken run as a hawk was eating one of his hens. Was not impressed. He cost me $200. Then I realized, "Wait. I'm glad he isn't defending. I don't want to lose all that money!" Haha. That why I started learning towards more affordable breeds. Cheap to replace.

I have a game rooster and it was trying to find a way out of the chicken run as a hawk was eating one of his hens. Was not impressed. He cost me $200. Then I realized, "Wait. I'm glad he isn't defending. I don't want to lose all that money!" Haha. That why I started learning towards more affordable breeds. Cheap to replace.
Maybe raise a young rooster to be a fighter.

had two ayam cemani roo's in my batch of 4 from cackle...very early on they showed some "impressive" tendencies... needless to say...i wasn't looking for roosters...so they were the first to go :(

I have a game rooster and it was trying to find a way out as a hawk was eating one of his hens. Was not impressed. He cost me $200. Then I realized, "Wait. I'm glad he isn't defending. I don't want to lose all that money!" Haha. That why I started learning towards more affordable breeds. Cheap to replace.
Rhode Island Reds would be your best bet probably. Mine stays with his girls alllll day, and he even tried to fight my dog once when he got a little too close 🤣

This is completely anecdotal of course, but the most fiercely protective rooster I've had was from a breed that was sold to me as Silver Italian. He never attacked humans, not even once, but he would chase and fight anything else than entered the yard.

I was just about to ask if a Wyandotte would be better than a Rhode island red due to its bigger size and just then came across a post on Craigslist for a Rhode island red / Wyandotte mix. So cool.

Back
Top Bottom