BEST ROOSTER??

We have a Buff Orpington rooster that has to be the nicest rooster I've ever seen. We raised him from about 2 weeks old and handled him alot (he was pecked early on and had a big scab under his eye so we call him "Scar Face" even though there's no trace of it anymore.)

Anyway... This rooser refuses to peck. He protests, "brah brah brah braaaaaaa" when you try to pick him up but once you do he just sits into your arms or lays down on your arm and relaxes. He has never pecked my wife and I once in about 8 months. Very special bird
wink.png
We absolutely love our buff orpintons. We have 12 and the only one that pecks is the alpha female and she usually just grabs our sleeves and tuggs on them (we think she has a sleeve fettish or something.) Buff orps are very special, they dont even peck when taking eggs out from under them!

In my opinion any rooster is great! I love them! Well except RIR, and that's only because everyone I ever had was mean. I know other people like them..I just never had any luck.
big_smile.png

Currently my favorite roo is my black ameraucana Harry, he and I don't have a great relationship yet since I just got him recently, but I'm working on him.
big_smile.png
I just made him my avatar yesterday!

Last edited:
Quote:
They're all individuals. Of my four hens, the only one that pecks when I take eggs is the Buff Orp. She's really bossy, too. Kind of unusual for the breed, I guess. But I can't seem to convince her that she's supposed to be sweet and passive
lol.png

I have only raised one roo from a chick,and have had 4 roos..all of the ones i didnt raise from a chick were bad ones.

The Rir i raised is an awesome Roo!!
he dances around me when i walk up to him,like i was a hen..lol dont know what hes got in mind (strange)

but i can pick him up whenever i want,move him whereever i want with out him trying to get away from me,but i spent alot of time with him when he was little.He does pester the hens alittle to often..but he is young hopefully he mellows out with his hormones..LOL

I wouldnt trade him for another..
big_smile.png

I would think that if you spent alot of time with your roo when he was a baby he would grow up thinking you were his folk.

Back
Top Bottom