Best Roosters for Coyote/Hawk Alert?

Do you have a dog, or have you considered having a livestock guardian breed? I feel like something large and/or noisy in a dog is the best way to keep larger predators away.

I really like my silver cuckoo marans rooster for his alertness to predators. But I agree that many breeds will do the trick. Around here people are constantly trying to get rid of extra roosters. There is a Washington rooster re-home group on facebook where you can go through and find your perfect rooster for free :)

Your wheat fields are how tall? Giving the preditors lots of cover to creep in close.
Once the fields are harvested maybe a chicken will have more sight distance.
Currently the wheat has been harvested an is about 1' tall dry shafts. I was thinking about "rolling" it in a 15' radius to make it even flatter just to allow better visibility. In that late spring and through harvest in July it will be much taller though.

I've watched coyotes heading across the field behind us, cross the scent trail from the carcass, stop dead in their tracks then take a new course to avoid the area. The downside is when the wind shifts and carries the aroma towards you.
That's good to know, I will let hubby know that my head-on-a-pike idea isn't crazy!

Do you have a dog, or have you considered having a livestock guardian breed? I feel like something large and/or noisy in a dog is the best way to keep larger predators away.
We do have two dogs though they spend 75% of the time indoors (moved from the city to the country so they are used to being inside with the pack). One has already chased a coyote off once last weekend but the yote showed back up the same time the next day. Haven't figured out a good outside-only dog yet or how that would work.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Our fencing guys reached out and let us know the supplies came in so they will be out in two weeks instead of February to put up the permanent run. It's 6' tall fences so hopefully that will help keep them in and away from temptation of the yotes.

There is a Washington rooster re-home group on facebook where you can go through and find your perfect rooster for free :)
Do you happen to know the name of the group? I'm on the dry side in Eastern Washington. We did try a roo from a local person but he was WAY too aggressive with our girls. They were flying up into the windows in panic trying to get to us and away from him. He'd even go as far as stalking up directly behind them to pounce so he isn't here anymore...

It's Rooster Rehome of Washington State (on Facebook)

It can be tough getting roosters integrated successfully, and the hens are not always fans. If you can provide a safe enclosed area for new additions to the flock so that everyone can get used to each other first, that's one way to ease the transition. I use mobile coops with a small run inside of a larger fenced area. Even so, the day you let them all out together can be tough. It does get better.

All four of my cockerels that I hatched this spring have a great hawk alarm. They're all mixed breeds, from my Ameraucana rooster. He also sounds the alarm, and even forces the hens inside the house if he feels that they're threatened. @spicydisaster, you probably live pretty close to me, so if you want a rooster, I have plenty. The four cockerels are all seven months.

All four of my cockerels that I hatched this spring have a great hawk alarm. They're all mixed breeds, from my Ameraucana rooster. He also sounds the alarm, and even forces the hens inside the house if he feels that they're threatened. @spicydisaster, you probably live pretty close to me, so if you want a rooster, I have plenty. The four cockerels are all seven months.

Sending you a message!

Back
Top Bottom