Best Seeds for Fodder

TateLewis

Chirping
Aug 31, 2016
Pennsylvania
Before I know, it's going to be winter where I live and I'm interested in trying to grow fodder for my hens this winter since it lasts so long around here. I am completely new to this and was wondering what is the best seed to buy. I searched Amazon and so much comes up I wasn't sure what is the best one to get.

I use winter wheat berries from the human food co-op.
Found grains from feed mill to get moldy more often,
but I do pretty small quantities of fodder, more of a treat than a feed supplement.
upload_2018-9-23_17-44-51.png

I’ve been sprouting in Mason Jars for the last few weeks. I only have 4 ladies, so the amount of sprouts works out. BOSS, wheat berries, mung beans and oat groats have worked great. Chia seeds turn into a slimy mess and didn’t work at all in mason jars.

I found cheap seeds in the bulk section of Whole Foods. The BOSS is the giant bag from TSC.

On my mason jars, I started with the metal ring and a piece of screen on the top of the jar, but it rusted after 2 weeks, so I purchased plastic sprouting lids on Amazon.
FFA9EBD7-335A-4E2D-ADB9-60D201BDC934.jpeg

5407CF8B-D0BF-459D-9F8F-EE0946419775.jpeg

I’ve been sprouting in Mason Jars for the last few weeks. I only have 4 ladies, so the amount of sprouts works out. BOSS, wheat berries, mung beans and oat groats have worked great. Chia seeds turn into a slimy mess and didn’t work at all in mason jars.

I found cheap seeds in the bulk section of Whole Foods. The BOSS is the giant bag from TSC.

On my mason jars, I started with the metal ring and a piece of screen on the top of the jar, but it rusted after 2 weeks, so I purchased plastic sprouting lids on Amazon.View attachment 1546909

View attachment 1546894
How do you sprout in mason jars? Your setup looks cool!

Love the display @PeppersPeeps ..

My lids rusted too , not sure why ? I too bought lids from amazon ! So expensive

I do exactly what you do with the different grains , I love doing the lentils because they sprout easily and don’t rot !I had a lot of tiny flies this summer so I stopped fermented water and sprouting ,
But then I found this sprouting tower for $20 used and my life changed ... it’s so easy and looks good on my counter , I love ❤️it !
You pour water into the top tray and it drips down threw all three trays , so easy !!
462DEA02-C246-4EF5-9B58-C2C69093EAFA.jpeg

Last edited:
I use mung beans, alfalfa, clover, lentils, birdseed, barley and wheat. I start mine in Mason jars and as soon as they start sprouting I pour them into tuperware that I have drilled drain holes in. I feed mine a tuperware tray everyday because my girls can't free range due to neighborhood dogs (I can't convince my husband that the expense for fencing in an acre and a half is worth my girls happiness) my girls favorite is clover and birdseed fodder, they go nuts!

Love the display @PeppersPeeps ..

My lids rusted too , not sure why ? I too bought lids from amazon ! So expensive

I do exactly what you do with the different grains , I love doing the lentils because they sprout easily and don’t rot !
But then they got this sprouting tower for $20 used and my life changed ... it’s so easy and looks good on my counter , I love ❤️it !
You pour water into the top tray and it drips down threw all three trays , so easy !!View attachment 1547016
Now, I might be able to get away with something like that on the counter here too! :)

Back
Top Bottom