Best size carrier dimensions for four pullets 6 or 7 week old Production Blues just to get to run/coop

bayareapilot

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 8, 2010
San Francisco
The four Production Pullets still have a ways to go - they'll turn 3 weeks old tomorrow, but I know that another 3 or 4 weeks after that will come sooner than I think. I was planning on beginning integration to my regular flock using the see-but-don't-touch approach, as I always have done (although I will be also trying the nighttime in a protection pen inside the coop at night for the first time).

Now I have the integration pen already for when the time comes. The thing I was wondering about is imagining how big they'll be at 6 or 7 weeks and trying to pick an appropriate carrier size just go move them from the brooder to the outside 'integration pen'? Clearly it is only from inside where the brooder is to my backyard, so what would you use? I have some dog carriers but they seem (I'm guessing) a bit large for the simple task of brooder to run (and inside the integration pen). They'll be in it a few minutes, tops...

For four chickens, you can just pick them up in your hands and carry them, one or two at a time.

Yes, you could use any of your dog carriers. Too big is not a problem, as long as you are not shaking it all around. Or you can use a cardboard box, or a trash can with a pillowcase over the top, or a bucket with a towel over the top, or a plastic storage bin with a window screen on top, or anything else you can think of.

Personally, I would just carry them in my hands. It will probably be faster than trying to find a suitable thing to carry them in.

For four chickens, you can just pick them up in your hands and carry them, one or two at a time.

Yes, you could use any of your dog carriers. Too big is not a problem, as long as you are not shaking it all around. Or you can use a cardboard box, or a trash can with a pillowcase over the top, or a bucket with a towel over the top, or a plastic storage bin with a window screen on top, or anything else you can think of.

Personally, I would just carry them in my hands. It will probably be faster than trying to find a suitable thing to carry them in.
That's the way I've usually done it,,, but I thought it might be easier to put them all out together at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom