Best Spill Free feeder

Augie1

Chirping
Aug 18, 2020
My chickens flick out about 10-25% of the feed in the galvanized hanging feeder. I've tried lowering the tube, raising and lowering the whole feed but still are able to spill feed. What's the best spill-free chicken feeder that can feed a mixed sized flock.

I don’t think such a thing exists. I do recall someone making a feeder out of a five gallon bucket and the chickens had to peck at a toggle or something to make it dispense a few bits of food. Otherwise they flick it out. Don’t refill until they eat what they flicked out. They eat off the ground anyway

I don’t think such a thing exists. I do recall someone making a feeder out of a five gallon bucket and the chickens had to peck at a toggle or something to make it dispense a few bits of food. Otherwise they flick it out. Don’t refill until they eat what they flicked out. They eat off the ground anyway
This is what I use. They have to work for the food, and eat it off the floor. It saves me from worrying about waste, and keeps most of the uneaten food in the bucket.

I use a 7 lb plastic feeder and took a plastic bucket(it's a 32 lb sour cream bucket from a restaurant)and cut 1 1/4 inch holes all around about an inch above the top edge then cut a 6 1/2 inch hole in the bottom of the bucket. Flipped it upside down over feeder, the chooks have to put their heads inside to access the food but doesn't allow for them to bill the food out on to the ground. I know it sounds a little weird but it actually works great.

I use this for one of my coops.
Screenshot_20201202-201513_Chrome.jpg

I use a 7 lb plastic feeder and took a plastic bucket(it's a 32 lb sour cream bucket from a restaurant)and cut 1 1/4 inch holes all around about an inch above the top edge then cut a 6 1/2 inch hole in the bottom of the bucket. Flipped it upside down over feeder, the chooks have to put their heads inside to access the food but doesn't allow for them to bill the food out on to the ground. I know it sounds a little weird but it actually works great.
Do you have a diagram?

Back
Top Bottom