Best Tasting Eggs

I have 9 barred rocks, and 4 Amerucana's. The pink eggs are from the barred rocks.
I raised my Ameraucana's and thought they were very unfriendly, not so...once they
started laying, they became very friendly. Beautiful blue eggs! They have a funny
personality. Also they are cleaner than my other hens. Very happy with them & their
egg production.

The reason the french chefs prefer the Marans eggs is because the pores in the shell are smaller , the shell thicker, There is less likelyhood that bacteria can get into the egg. Therefore they feel they are safer. I love the color myself. Sometimes the egg will taste different if the yolk is larger for the egg size too. It will appear more flavorfull. Gloria Jean

I just bought a farm that actually came with a small flock of French Black Copper Marans and 2 Rhode Island Red hens. They are the best eggs I have ever eaten and I do prefer the BCM eggs. Time will tell if this is just from the fact that they have access to a pasture all day or if, like I am guessing, there is just something different about these eggs. All I know for sure is that I am officially ruined for grocery store eggs and in love with my birds:-D They were not tame when I got them but are now (after many pkgs. of mealworms) just a week later, eating scratch out of my hand!

I was, too, of the thought that given the same feed, all of my chicken's eggs would taste the same. On the same morning that my daughter suddenly proclaimed that her scrambled eggs were "sweeter than normal", I had a conversation with a friend that said she wanted to get a couple leghorns because their eggs were supposed to taste better.

The next day, when I cooked breakfast for the kids, I did one pan with 3 Ancona eggs, and 3 from the black Sumatra. TOTALLY different taste, and the Ancona's eggs WERE much sweeter. I knew I had used her eggs in the first batch, so I tested them first. I am going to try to test the rest!

They all get to free range a couple hours a day, but this Ancona is much pickier than the others when it comes to treats and bugs...maybe that's it, although they all have the same primary diet.

{Non-Organic Newbie Warning}
Sooooooo I am super excited about this adventure! I am super excited to be a backyard chicken guardian - I can't wait to cuddle and care for and spoil my girls :)

My preference of taste would be something similar to what I buy in the grocery store (you can feel free to tell me why that's wrong/undesirable)

Combined with a breed prone to laying double yokes - I do loads of baking and some of the richer yolk based desserts would be worth attempting ...

I am not a big yolk fan - I do mostly scrambled eggs and if I do fry an egg I always break the yolk to kinda meld in with the egg white. The "rich" taste you lot are raving about is probably not my speed YET, I can build up an appreciation for it but straight out the gate I would like to have a taste closer to what I'm used to.

Hope I don't come off too common or ignorant :(

We are a small operation and only sell 3 or 4 dozen a week. We have an EE, 2 Black Jersey Giants, Gold Laced Wyandottes, 3 Polish, 2 Guinea Hens and 2 Black Copper Marans we purchased from a reputable breeder. Invariably, folks will tell us how much they love the BCM eggs.

They describe the yolks as being large and more orange than the others and the flavor to be better. My husband can always tell the difference between the BCMs and the other eggs. But that is just our experience. Interesting discussion.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom