Best tempered Roo?

pawtraitart

Crowing
13 Years
May 30, 2007
Idaho
Are there any standard breed roos which stand out as being more evenly tempered than others? I have plenty of room for another roo and would like to pick one that won't attack people. My husband will put any meanies into the pot!

Don't get a plymouth rock! Mine go so bad he almost pecked my 85lb dogs eye out & wouldn't let my kids in the yard. He was a free range bird. The only other roo I've had was a silkie. Good Luck.

MARANS! I just sold the last of my marans and I do miss my roo
sad.png
Ive never had any of the marans turn mean. They are big boys, that look like they could really be nasty, but they are the biggest sweethearts.
Also Buff orpingtons roos are real nice and docile too
smile.png

That's funny, my Plymouth Rocks are big babies! One I bought when he was 10 months old and was penned up with a turkey and fairly unsocialized and one I hatched five months ago from a friend's eggs are both the sweetest tempered, most lovable roosters you could ask for. All my Barred Rock cockerels have been very lovable.
I also have a Blue Orpington cockerel who is five months old, weighs over 8 lbs, and is very sweet. Good thing, too, since he could really do some damage with his mass if he was ill-tempered.

Last edited:
Well we've had five roosters that I can say have never been a problem; our White Leghorn roo, our Barred Cochin roo, our Araucauna/Frizzle Cochin mix and White Leghorn/Araucauana mix roosters, and our Brown Leghorn roo (the Brown Leghorn was very timid). We've had White Leghorns before, too, and they have always been easy going. I think you do better with bigger breeds, but I also think it depends on the individual. .

I have a big speckled sussex roo that is meaner than a snake. He chases and spurs my boys relentlessly. They have resorted to carrying sticks with them. I read a great article online last week that talked about alpha roosters and dominence. Long story short, it is important to show your rooster who is boss by providing food for the hens ( and not letting the roo at it right away), not backing down from your roo when he puffs up, and NEVER running away. In other words, be the alpha rooster. I had my 13 yr old read the article and he has tried a few of the techniques. It has helped. Now if I could only get my 8 yr old to believe it all!

Back
Top Bottom