Best thing to bait a trap with

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Happy Chooks, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging Staff Member Premium Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    when you don't know what you're trying to trap? Over the weekend, I lost 9 out of 14 chicks (8 weeks old). All I found was feathers, in the run, not the coop. My dog brought me a wing yesterday, so I know it's a land predator. (originally thought hawk) I've found a pile of feathers about 100 ft off the run from 1 chicken. And another chick feathers are clinging to the side of an oak tree, which makes me think it took the kill up the tree.

So, we're thinking racoon. What's the best thing to bait a trap with to catch the darn thing?

2. Bassleg

Bassleg Songster

Jul 25, 2008
    Lebanon Oregon
    You could try an egg and you wouldn't trap any cats.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I think owls.
    Katharina

4. PacsMan

PacsMan Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    Salt Lake Valley
    Quote:I've done a lot of reading on racoons, but have never caught one.

They say a twinkie with vanilla poured on it, or an open can of tuna fish.

5. I was using duck eggs that didnt hatch in the traps. So far caught 2 big coons.

6. lavacaw

lavacaw Songster

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    Sardines!
    I have used them to catch possums, coons, foxes and feral cats. Drip a little of the liquid at the opening of the trap. Works great!
    Marshmallows will work for coons but not much else except ants.

7. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Kelly, we have caught several raccoons in our trap using an open can of cat food.

8. the funny farm6615

the funny farm6615 In the Brooder

May 26, 2010
    iowa
    DEFINITLY CANNED CAT FOOD!!!! we use this and it works better than tuna and sweets! get the smaller cans with the pop and peel off lids (metal), not he tiny fancy feast, the cans about the size of a tuna can. and the cheeper the better. i think that the cheaper has a stronger smell, just take the lid off and put it in can and all, no mess.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Eggs !!! they catch coons,possum,and skunks. Can leave set for weeks without rebaiting, and no cats. Trouble with the other baits you will catch alot of cats. Hard to catch a predator with a cat in the trap.

My guess bird of prey, if losing them in daytime hawk, at night owl. Coons dont drag their prey away, they eat on the spot or not far away. Hawk and owl will take their into the trees ,more so the owls.

Coons also kill many in one night, eat a little from each..

10. illegal avian

illegal avian Cooped up

Apr 21, 2010
    Third World, Texas
    Quote:This.

Small animal traps (the kind that snap shut on the leg) will catch them; but they are such beautiful birds. Can you cover the run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: