Best time to order quail chicks 2021

Farm quails

Chirping
Jul 9, 2020
When is the best time to order quail chicks for eggs or breeding in 2021 spring(early or late) or summer(early or late) to avoid them being killed by from cold or heat since I have to keep them in back yard and how many should i start with I can have at most 4-6 quails since I dont gave big yard and I'm a little worried about noise complains and what should i buy before hand to ensure best chance of survival for southern California

Last edited:
What climate do you live in? I’m planning on ordering a few quail eggs in late winter so they aren’t as cold and can start breeding in spring, but I live in an area that doesn’t get very hot, but gets fairly cold in winter.

Hi there, you can get chicks just about any time of year, but if where you live is very cold you would keep them indoors in the brooder for longer than in the warm weather. It’s also a good idea to acclimate them by taking them to an outside pen during the day and back in at night for a week or so if you have really terrible winters.

Are you looking to hatch their eggs? If not, I would recommend getting sex link chicks that you know are females, and not get a roo if you are worried about noise, then when you want new birds, you can order new chicks again.

Are you going to be culling the males if you get a group of straight run chicks? Because if you wanted 5-6 hens, you would want at least 12 chicks to start with, but at least half will most likely be male.

You want to make sure that their pen or cage is predator proof, even neighbors cats are a danger to quail. They will need areas that they can get out of the cold and wind, and can stay dry. Boxes and flowerpots are very popular.

Hi there, you can get chicks just about any time of year, but if where you live is very cold you would keep them indoors in the brooder for longer than in the warm weather. It’s also a good idea to acclimate them by taking them to an outside pen during the day and back in at night for a week or so if you have really terrible winters.

Are you looking to hatch their eggs? If not, I would recommend getting sex link chicks that you know are females, and not get a roo if you are worried about noise, then when you want new birds, you can order new chicks again.

Are you going to be culling the males if you get a group of straight run chicks? Because if you wanted 5-6 hens, you would want at least 12 chicks to start with, but at least half will most likely be male.

You want to make sure that their pen or cage is predator proof, even neighbors cats are a danger to quail. They will need areas that they can get out of the cold and wind, and can stay dry. Boxes and flowerpots are very popular.
How do i make pen or cage predator proof and im thinking 2 females and one male or all females 2-4

Last edited:
Where in CA are you? There are several of us who raise quail that I know of in northern CA.
Do you know anyone who has preferly 3 weeks old at least quails for sale in southern California(older quails less work)and dont require me to buy a lot of quail since several websites require 12+ quails in orders to ship

I just got some eggs last week. I plan on keeping my quail indoors so weather isn’t an issue. I live in SE Iowa and wouldn’t think of doing this until May if the quail lived ourdoors 😖 b/c of the cold & the rain. I am starting so early because I wanted to have enough time to get them sexed. I can’t keep all of the quail so my hope is I can give or sell the extra males around the time people will be looking to add new blood to their coveys in the Spring.

Back
Top Bottom