Best time to order quail chicks 2021

@Nabiki
Is this a good size cage for about 5 quails from breeding and eggs?
https://quailcage.com/quail-cage/97...-breeding-pvc-coated-floor-7426954627835.html
The dimensions say it’s 24x23.5 inches which is 4 sq ft. However, the photo doesn’t look square, so I think that includes the trays that stick out, which are probably about 6 inches and are not living space for the birds, so I estimate it’s about 3 sq ft of living space, if you put in a feeder that takes away from living space, I would say that cage is good for 2 to 3 hens space wise at most. The 12 bird capacity it lists in the description is not accurate at all.i don’t know what the top tray is, is it a food trough?

@Nabiki
Is this a good size cage for about 5 quails from breeding and eggs?
https://quailcage.com/quail-cage/97...-breeding-pvc-coated-floor-7426954627835.html
That thing is less than 4 square feet. I wouldn't put 3 quail in there, much less 5. That type of battery cage doesn't give you any space to put hiding places or dirt baths either. Those are intended for commercial meat/egg producers who are interested in volume rather than the health and happiness of their birds.

That style of cage can work, but make sure you have at least 1 square foot for bird, and don't forget to subtract the space you use for hiding places, feeders, etc.

The dimensions say it’s 24x23.5 inches which is 4 sq ft. However, the photo doesn’t look square, so I think that includes the trays that stick out, which are probably about 6 inches and are not living space for the birds, so I estimate it’s about 3 sq ft of living space, if you put in a feeder that takes away from living space, I would say that cage is good for 2 to 3 hens space wise at most. The 12 bird capacity it lists in the description is not accurate at all.i don’t know what the top tray is, is it a food trough?
That thing is less than 4 square feet. I wouldn't put 3 quail in there, much less 5. That type of battery cage doesn't give you any space to put hiding places or dirt baths either. Those are intended for commercial meat/egg producers who are interested in volume rather than the health and happiness of their birds.

That style of cage can work, but make sure you have at least 1 square foot for bird, and don't forget to subtract the space you use for hiding places, feeders, etc.
What size minimum for 5 Quails(4 female one male ) and where can I get one?

What size minimum for 5 Quails(4 female one male ) and where can I get one?
You could get a larger Wynola Ranch cage if you love that style. Personally, I prefer pens on the ground, but they can be hard to find. The ones I really like were made by Summer Hawk Ranch, but they don't make them anymore.

You want something that gives your birds 1 square foot/bird, minimum, so at least 5 square feet. More is better.

This is what I have, but like I said, they don't make them anymore.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078JJCFQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could get a larger Wynola Ranch cage if you love that style. Personally, I prefer pens on the ground, but they can be hard to find. The ones I really like were made by Summer Hawk Ranch, but they don't make them anymore.

You want something that gives your birds 1 square foot/bird, minimum, so at least 5 square feet. More is better.

This is what I have, but like I said, they don't make them anymore.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078JJCFQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Edited
Where could I find one that covers the sides and roof since I I think it be good for quail have haces acess to soil

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find another like the Summer Hawk Ranch ones. Do you know someone who could make you one out of wood and hardware cloth? It's mostly just a 4' x 5' box with a door.

I make my pens out of pvc and hardware cloth, connected with zip ties. They sit on the ground and have tarps I put on at night and in bad weather. I’ve been making this one today:
E81ABD13-530E-4642-BEAD-DD70E8337AA8.jpeg
252D786A-A458-4C68-B87B-3655C3196ACF.jpeg

This is meant for the table to be the roof. I had the table so I thought I’d give it a try.

my first pen is the wood prefab, and it’s JUNK!
The others I made myself.
2F99B440-009E-4B58-AE04-5F972C2A5693.jpeg
2AA64384-C0FF-42D0-958E-9AAD8D96B2AC.jpeg

this one was before I put the cinderblocks around, but they need the cinderblocks to keep pests and predators out, plus the quail are calmer because they cant see as much outside.
3FE1C458-48A3-422A-9285-49D4B9EE89B4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom