best tips to a new chick Mom?

Make your poultry a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise.
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, please get your chickens some Vaseline or bag balm to stave off frostbite before they get it! Baby, it's cold outside! :D

I must beg to differ on the subject of heat lamps, with all due respect to @Welshies . Heat lamps DO heat the air. They heat the entire brooder, the walls OF the brooder and AROUND the brooder, the floors, the bedding, the food and the water. A Mama Hen heats only the chicks directly, and not 24 hours a day. The chicks begin to explore their surroundings and learn what they'll need to know to survive at just a couple of days old, squirting under her for a quick warm-up and then they are back out running all over the place. They scoot under her for security if they are spooked. They sit on top of her and beside her. They snuggle under her at night as the sun goes down and stay there, nice and quiet and sound asleep, until the sun comes back up. They don't get any of that with a heat lamp. They just get light and heat. Lots of heat. Chicks put out a lot of dust, dander and fuzz. Those are all combustible. The lamp doesn't need to come into direct contact with anything else to burst into flame. It's happened right here on BYC many times.

Think about a heating pad. Let's say you have one of each running...a heating pad sitting on the floor next to you and a heat lamp hung in front of you. Grab one. Yeah. You aren't going to grab that heat lamp but you would pick up the heating pad, and maybe even throw it on your shoulders. They are designed to come into contact with fabric, upholstery...even bare skin for short times. As for them not heating the air, then why is it that the temperature in my brooder farthest away from Mama Heating Pad was 69 degrees in a 69 degree room, while with my first batch of chicks under a heat lamp the temperature in the same spot, same room, same brooder was 87? The area directly under the lamp was at the "recommended" 90 degrees.

I don't mean to be argumentative, just informative. And a disagreement in a brand new member's post can leave a bad taste in the mouth, I know. That's not much of a "welcome". But I am a firm believer that a heating pad is a gentler, more even, and direct warming method. I would never second guess whatever @Miss Chickpea decides to do, but I do think that like all of us, she deserves to have all the information at hand to make an informed decision. Who knows? A heat lamp may well be the perfect solution for her, and that's fine too.

:goodpost:

Heat lamps don't heat the air, I apologize but beg to differ. They may increase it by a few degrees by heating surrounding objects but they are the go-to for chicks. Many people find them more affordable at $40 versus $150 for a Brinsea chick brooder. They have been most people's go to. It is your choice though!

And a heating pad, for a Mama Heating Pad brooder costs about the same, $40, and is MUCH less likely to catch the brooder on fire. No arguments, just facts. Heating pads use radiant heat, whereas lamps heat THE AIR.

Heat lamps don't heat the air, I apologize but beg to differ. They may increase it by a few degrees by heating surrounding objects but they are the go-to for chicks. Many people find them more affordable at $40 versus $150 for a Brinsea chick brooder. They have been most people's go to. It is your choice though!
Again, and with no disrespect intended, how do you think that heat lamps increase the temperature of the surrounding objects if they aren't heating the air first? They certainly aren't heating those objects by direct contact..at least they shouldn't be. And a Sunbeam X-press Heat heating pad runs about $20.00. I think you misunderstood me and thought I was talking about heat plates....I wasn't. I knew you had said "heater" so that could have been MHP, which we had mentioned earlier, or a Brisnea or the like. I'm talking a good old heating pad, just like you would buy for a pulled muscle. Did we have a failure to communicate? :confused:

Again, and with no disrespect intended, how do you think that heat lamps increase the temperature of the surrounding objects if they aren't heating the air first? They certainly aren't heating those objects by direct contact..at least they shouldn't be. And a Sunbeam X-press Heat heating pad runs about $20.00. I think you misunderstood me and thought I was talking about heat plates....I wasn't. I knew you had said "heater" so that could have been MHP, which we had mentioned earlier, or a Brisnea or the like. I'm talking a good old heating pad, just like you would buy for a pulled muscle. Did we have a failure to communicate? :confused:
I don't know, but I know heat lamps used in brooders heat objects. I've always been told that. I see evidence in my own coop, where the chickens are toasty warm in -40° right now, but the air is still chilly.

Make your poultry a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise.
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, please get your chickens some Vaseline or bag balm to stave off frostbite before they get it! Baby, it's cold outside! :D
First aid kid, what a great idea! What are the necessities? I did read about the Vaseline and will definitely have some on hand always:)

The link you sent with the pics of the dome style heating was a great visual to understand how to use a heating pad as a heat source. I do believe this would simulate a very natural environment, just based on common sense. Heat lamp was my first option, and everything I read said to adjust the heat temp as they grow feathers, so just raise it a few inches per week. How does the heat pad work in that sense? They just go in it/on it when they need? Would make sense as they would use it just like the would momma! The only worry I have, as I've read, is the fire hazard of a heat lamp. I love the options and appreciate the advise and different opinions. Everyone will have something that works for them:) I'm all about learning and experimenting, so thank you both for sharing your views and experiences!

The link you sent with the pics of the dome style heating was a great visual to understand how to use a heating pad as a heat source. I do believe this would simulate a very natural environment, just based on common sense. Heat lamp was my first option, and everything I read said to adjust the heat temp as they grow feathers, so just raise it a few inches per week. How does the heat pad work in that sense? They just go in it/on it when they need? Would make sense as they would use it just like the would momma! The only worry I have, as I've read, is the fire hazard of a heat lamp. I love the options and appreciate the advise and different opinions. Everyone will have something that works for them:) I'm all about learning and experimenting, so thank you both for sharing your views and experiences!
Good response. I like you:):thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom