best to show ?

The question was "to show," not "to breed."

I agree that there are different considerations for picking different breeds or varieties, but each has its own difficulties or lack thereof.

With white, if you are not able to maintain a perfectly non-stained, non-sunburned feathers bird you won't have snow-white plumage that can compete.

Quote:
I don't agree with this entirely. You have to train Modern Game to 'stand' which is a big part of correctly showing them. Showing also means conditioning....they go hand in hand in my opinion. Conditioning a cochin will be a bit harder than conditioning a rosecomb.

To answer you question. Blue and splash cochins are not too bad. The big thing with cochins is to keep their feet feathers in good shape. This means keeping them in deep bedding that doesn't wear the feathers down. If you allow them to run around the barn yard they are more likely to break the feathers on their feet off. Cochin temperament is generally pretty nice....they are a pretty easygoing little bird overall and make great broodies to hatch eggs. I would say cochins are a nice starter bird if you can find a quality breeder. If you want to be competitive in the show room I would not buy from a hatchery.

UC

thanks for the tip and can u tell me how a show workd any one like getting in do i have to be in a show club and everything else and do u win money for placeing
in a show

Well, I'm positive in order to compete in a show, your chickens have to have been tested, I think it's for Pollurum and Theiroid.

If it were me, I would stick with a bantam to begin with, something easy to take care of and very gentle. Cochin Bantams are a very good breed, very sweet and also I find them quite beautiful. I would also go with a hen, roosters can get a real attitude, not that hens can't, but that's just me. Although roosters can be prettier, I'm pretty sure they judge by breed AND gender, it's not really fair to judge males against females when they both have good qualities.
Seramas are pretty good too, they're very small, very gentle, I have one myself, (I also have a cochin bantam) and he's as sweet as can be.

Make sure before you enter that you've washed them along with looked up the standards for the breed you are entering so you know what the judges are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom