Best turkey with kids???

colbye12

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
wee.gif
I have to younger brothers and I am a teenager. And me and my dad were thinking about getting a pair of turkeys. The only thing is we don't want them to bother my little 5 year-old brother. They will also have to be in with 2 goats and 6 chickens and we might be getten some more chickens. also i would needs ones that will not fly out much. Thanks
frow.gif

All the heritage breeds will fly like stunt planes, so you'll have to factor in wing clipping. Broad Breasted turkeys don't fly as much (they will when young), but overall they don't live as long and you'll need to monitor their diets (they were bred to get fat and get butchered and are prone to leg problems and illness if they overstay their `welcome' - careful diet control extends their stay).

Can't really predict the temperament of an individual turkey of any variety. Some will be very social and submissive, a few will be very aggressive.

Your family might consider just getting a couple of hens. The potential for aggressive behavior is much less and they are just as interesting as toms.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Ok thanks. We where set on getten Bourbin Reds because they are so pretty. We also want a tom for his feathers.

we have 3 bourbon reds, and 3 kids under 5, the turkeys are very friendly. They have been handled/played with by the kids since day 1.

Back
Top Bottom