best type of netting for red tailed hawks

gymangel812

Chirping
Feb 10, 2021
ohio
i just lost one of my ladies to a red tailed hawk. shiny objects and string/twine hung up did nothing. it happened right next to the coop under a tree. i'm kind of surprised all the chickens couldn't just run into the coop. what's the best netting for a large area (~1 acre) that can withstand snow?

To withstand snow, your run posts will have to be sturdy. I usually have to shake the snow off my netting, but my run is not very sturdy.
I go down to my marina and pick up the piles and piles of gill netting that are stacked by the garbage can at the end of fishing season. It's sturdy, free, and there's always more than you need so you can get as much as you want.
You do have to lay it out and sew up any holes with twine, since usually being thrown away for that reason.

That is a great idea used fish nets if you're located in a place where you can get some netting. Not knowing where you're located. Fortunately I don't have to deal with snow but we do have hawks among other aerial predators. I put some good netting up. I tried some more inexpensive netting and an owl plowed right through it and killed some birds. I have since replaced the netting. It should work ok but you may have to shake the snow off once in awhile. My area is 200' x 60'. I do have some trees for which I did have to cut the netting and work it around the trees. I have places to take the netting apart so I can trim the trees and get the branches out.
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

This is the netting I used to replace the crappy netting the owl went through. Works great.
IMG_20191221_101158.jpg

This is like the original netting I bought off of eBay. I put in a max bid and won the bid but that was many years ago and it's still up and in good condition. This is the replacement netting I bought to replace the crappy netting with and it is also very good. Great strength.
https://www.amazon.com/Aviary-Netti...keywords=aviary+netting&qid=1638848705&sr=8-5

To withstand snow, your run posts will have to be sturdy. I usually have to shake the snow off my netting, but my run is not very sturdy.
I go down to my marina and pick up the piles and piles of gill netting that are stacked by the garbage can at the end of fishing season. It's sturdy, free, and there's always more than you need so you can get as much as you want.
You do have to lay it out and sew up any holes with twine, since usually being thrown away for that reason.
i've got 6 ft t posts and deer netting fencing, i'm located in ohio.

i just lost one of my ladies to a red tailed hawk. shiny objects and string/twine hung up did nothing. it happened right next to the coop under a tree. i'm kind of surprised all the chickens couldn't just run into the coop. what's the best netting for a large area (~1 acre) that can withstand snow?
If strong netting is used it'll stretch to the ground and come back up when the snow melts but it has to be secured properly. Leaves and sticks or tree limbs have to be removed regularly. It can be patched if torn. Never seen anyone use netting over a large open area ~1 acre.

Back
Top Bottom