Best upgrades to ease coop maintenance/daily chore time

Coldd

Songster
Dec 11, 2021
Does anyone have recommendations for automatic doors or anything else for making coop maintenance a little easier?

My girls are on a schedule and will go out at first light and be in at dusk. I’m usually in bed by 830-930 and up at 4am, so as it stays lighter longer, the chickens will be out past my bedtime. I’d like to not add a chore to my partner’s to-do list!

Door recommendations are appreciated. There’s a lot on Amazon, but I’d like to hear it from you folks.

Also, waterer and feeders?

Thanks!

I don't have an automatic door. Hands down, the best thing I put in my coop to make maintenance easier was a poop board.

Here's a picture.
IMG_0864.JPG

I second the poop board concept.

I have an Ador automatic pop door. It works great and the battery lasts about a year, even with our cold winters.

Thanks for the replies! I’ve got a poop board made from scrap LP smart side siding. It’s a little rough but for free it works. I’ve got a coop clean out coming up so I’ve just been stirring the bedding up. It’s saved me a single 30 gallon trash bin worth of poop and though!

How is that Ador coop door? Easy install? I am thinking of mounting the sensor side inside my coop. I have no lighting and some large windows, so my gut says it’ll still work OK.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies! I’ve got a poop board made from scrap LP smart side siding. It’s a little rough but for free it works. I’ve got a coop clean out coming up so I’ve just been stirring the bedding up. It’s saved me a single 30 gallon trash bin worth of poop and though!

How is that Ador coop door? Easy install? I am thinking of mounting the sensor side inside my coop. I have no lighting and some large windows, so my gut says it’ll still work OK.

Thanks!

The Ador is great. Hubby installed it, but he never mentioned any issues. My sensor is outside, so will not be much help. I did notice in this thread that @Captain13 also has one. Maybe they can offer info as to sensor install.

Instal is very easy. I made the frame in about 15 minutes and installing the door is 3 screws on each side. The light sensor and remote switch is about a $10 add on. If you are mounting inside, I would recommend the remote light sensor. I used an aluminum “L” bracket, drilled the hole and slid the sensor in. Then run the supplied wire to the door and plug in per the instructions. Same for the remote door switch. Very easy to install. Rugged build.

Does anyone have recommendations for automatic doors or anything else for making coop maintenance a little easier?

My girls are on a schedule and will go out at first light and be in at dusk. I’m usually in bed by 830-930 and up at 4am, so as it stays lighter longer, the chickens will be out past my bedtime. I’d like to not add a chore to my partner’s to-do list!

Door recommendations are appreciated. There’s a lot on Amazon, but I’d like to hear it from you folks.

Also, waterer and feeders?

Thanks!
Like I tell everyone else, DIY. Not only can you make it cheaper, but you can customize it down the road. You can even add a Anti-Crush Safety Feature. Not only does it make maintaining it easier, Doing It Yourself, can lead to you being able to troubleshoot it on your own. No Brand specific controllers to have to diagnose, call for assistance or having to get sent a new on or worse buying a new one. Yes you might need help or may have to buy new parts but they will be cheaper and more accessible. You could even keep some spares on hand. The door would be much stronger.

If you just need it to open and close and you have good WiFi then a
$36.89 SONOFF (Prefered)
or
$22.90 MHCOZY 4CH

$35.99 Linear Actuator
$19.99 Battery Trickle Charger 5W Solar Panel 12V
$16.99 12 Volt 5 AH Battery
$6.99 DIN Rail

Low side $102.86 with MHCOZY
High Side $116.85 with SONOFF

Using $23.38 Two SPDT Timers, Instead of Smart Switch $103.34

The wiring is basically the same.

If you still want a turn key door these look good.

Automatic Chicken Coop Roll-Up Door Solar with Display
$169.95​
https://amzn.to/3Iif73F
Automatic Chicken Coop Roll-Up Door Solar without Display
$109.98​
https://amzn.to/42Od7sb
Mohjeke Automatic Chicken coop Door
$79.99​
https://amzn.to/3BBV1Od

This is an example using the Two Timers. Diagram.

Two SPDT Timers LA THC15A Alt v2 Photo 001.jpg

This is what you can end up doing.

Folding roosting bars help too.

Attachments

• 1684414411591.png
    1684414411591.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 8
This is the easiest coop to maintain I've come accross so far. It's made from recycled plastic.
It's almost indestructible. It can be washed inside and out. Almost nowhere for mites and dirt/poop to accumulate.
Off the ground it's very secure.
Plenty of room for up to 8 chickens assuming they are not kept in the coop on a permenant basis.

There are a few different types on the market. This one is made by Solway Recycled Plastics. I've built quite a few wooden coops over the years. The coop you see here has had quite a few alterations done to it as I find out what works best. The coop extension isn't a bought item but it was easy enough to construct.
I fitted a chicken guard automatic chicken door opener/closer and so far it's been very reliable. They new Chicken Guard auto door is a lot easier to set up than older models.
PB020607.JPG
PB020603.JPG
P5040977.JPG
P5030973.JPG

Is that an old coal boiler? (The black part). Cool coop! Thanks for the posts everybody. The automated roost arms are pretty wild!

Back
Top Bottom