Best UV light?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by saridout, Nov 3, 2010.

1. saridout

saridout Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    DFW
    My vet recommended that i put a UV light on my 2 indoor chickens for 8 hours a day to stimulate the production of vitamin D, but i can't find a good source of information on what the best light bulb would be. Does just a black light work, or is there another kind of bulb that's more effective?

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I think you need a special UVB producing bulb for that, something like this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=6550

We keep doves and small parrots indoors, and rather than using a UVB bulb, I just provide them supplemental vitamin D:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2811520

You could ask your vet if this would work for chickens too...one of our budgies is pushing 15 years old now, so it seems to be working.

p.s. I just noticed you're in the DFW area too...hey, neighbor!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  3. akepnerjr

akepnerjr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2010
    Newton NC
    Yes dr foster smith is were i bought a heat light it was for reptiles only 40 watts good for small areas

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:You have to check the label carefully. Usually the bulbs for heat do not produce UVB light.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What's the reason for not just giving vit D supplements? Actually, I don't know what you're feeding but if it is standard "layer" feed from the feedstore it ALREADY has enough vit D added to it to fulfill the average chicken's requirements.

Pat

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Yes, the supplement should be in their feed or can be added via vitamins & electrolytes in their water.

Another thing is that birds don't make a huge amount of Vitamin D through sun exposure due to feathering- so it may be more effective to use a supplement.

7. saridout

saridout Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    DFW
    the vet told me that they should get sunlight because it triggers the production of vitamin D that is different from vitamin D in a supplement, but i really don't know how true that is. i went ahead and bought a full spectrum 60 watt bulb. it can't hurt anything to use it.

i'm still feeding them from giant bag of medicated chick feed i bought 3 months ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by